Well, here's the spec:
-X570 I Aorus pro wifi
-3900X
-2x 16g 3600
-750W
-5700xt
-2T 970 evo
-1T SX8200 pro
And buy two Kraken X62 ($90 each) plus a NZXT G12 Bracket ($40)
Or EK waterblok kit for cpu and gpu for ($350)?
No idea if the X570 I's got enough headers to support this concept.

Thanks in advance :p

Solution
You can do a few different things, one being a kit + purchase of a waterblock that fits your card. You will want to ensure the exact card SKU or model number is supported by the block. This will likely run to about the max of your budget of $450 or so.

Piecing a loop together can be as expensive or less expensive depending on what you decide to cut corners on, but you can also choose components from different manufacturers as you wish so you aren't locked into using all the same gear.

You can take an expandable AIO like EK, Swiftech or Alphacool have and add a graphics card to the configuration. Some of them even use quick disconnects so you can easily snap components together. This can also get expensive, but also depends on what...

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
With 2x 16GB 3600 you mean in total 32 GB RAM? Unless you are doing lots of video editing 16 GB 3200 MHz (2 x 8 GB RAM sticks) is plenty.

The 2TB 970 Evo is luxury, but hey I want one too!

Do you really need the 1 TB SX8200 Pro? If it's for storage, then you could get 4 to 6 GB HDD for the same price.

Reactions: arni75

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Two AIOS: CPU and GPU, hence the mention of the G12. Not my cup of tea.

My vote is for the kit approach, if this is your first liquid cooling venture. Running 2 AIOs is going to do one of two things:

1. you are liquid cooling, but wish you had done more
  2. you are underwhelmed with performance
Either way, you'll wish you had gone custom watercooling to begin with, or just stuck with good air cooling.

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Hi Countess-C
Yes, 32G for $150 @Newegg deals
Haha, I've developed an allergy to HDD after having to use them to transfer textures and material files for rendering for a years :)

Need help finding the best watercooling solution for CPU and GPU; I don't know if it's logical to use a Kraken X62 and a G12 bracket to cool the gpu, and if so, is it sufficient or i'm better of buying one of those water cooling kits

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Two AIOS: CPU and GPU, hence the mention of the G12. Not my cup of tea.

My vote is for the kit approach, if this is your first liquid cooling venture. Running 2 AIOs is going to do one of two things:

1. you are liquid cooling, but wish you had done more
  2. you are underwhelmed with performance
Either way, you'll wish you had gone custom watercooling to begin with, or just stuck with good air cooling.

Hi Rubix-1011, Thanks for helping :)

To accommodate cpu and gpu cooling, how many 3pin/4pin the MB needs ?
(found these on Gigabyte website: 1x cpu fan header, 2x system fan headers, 1x front panel header) but don't know which is used for what ¯\(ツ)

Would it change your mind if there were 2x ML360 for $196 after discounts? o,O Not that I don't like custom cooling but it's not somethinf I could put together on my own

So which kit would you recommend?
What If I were to go custom cooling route?

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can use PWM splitters, there are both 3 and 4 pin versions online, such as at Amazon, Ebay and others for relatively low cost.

To me, the issue isn't 'which AIO I would choose', I just wouldn't personally chose to use an AIO in that scenario, but that is my preference. Your preference might be to use one. Most AIOs are nearly identical, most have the same pump and radiator made by the same OEM, such as Asetek or Cool-It and simply rebranded with Corsair, NZXT or Cooler Master on the components. Fans might be specific to the vendor, or generic OEM rebrand, also.

This is different with brands like EK, Alphacool, Corsair (Hydro X) and Swiftech. They design and develop their components with higher quality materials and strict QA testing.

If you are going to go as far as disassembling a GPU to mount a G12 and Kraken, you can install a full-cover GPU block. Granted, that GPU block will cost the same as your G12+Kraken combined, but technically, difficulty is about the same.

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
You can use PWM splitters, there are both 3 and 4 pin versions online, such as at Amazon, Ebay and others for relatively low cost.

To me, the issue isn't 'which AIO I would choose', I just wouldn't personally chose to use an AIO in that scenario, but that is my preference. Your preference might be to use one. Most AIOs are nearly identical, most have the same pump and radiator made by the same OEM, such as Asetek or Cool-It and simply rebranded with Corsair, NZXT or Cooler Master on the components. Fans might be specific to the vendor, or generic OEM rebrand, also.

This is different with brands like EK, Alphacool, Corsair (Hydro X) and Swiftech. They design and develop their components with higher quality materials and strict QA testing.

If you are going to go as far as disassembling a GPU to mount a G12 and Kraken, you can install a full-cover GPU block. Granted, that GPU block will cost the same as your G12+Kraken combined, but technically, difficulty is about the same.

You make it seem as easy as undoing some screws on the back of the gpu :)

Did some messing around with the configurator and ended up with a $750+ solution - know I've took up too much of your time already- how much cooler do you reckon the pc would run vs my not apparently practical idea? :p

Wish I could offer a cup of tea

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You make it seem as easy as undoing some screws on the back of the gpu :)

That's about what it is, just a lot of tiny, tiny screws and some thermal pads to account for.

Much of this kind of depends on what you want to spend vs. what you really need to cool.

What is your cooling budget that you absolutely cannot exceed? EK has some aluminum cooling kits that also include a GPU block (uncertain if 5700XT is supported, though). Otherwise, there are some other creative routes to pursue, if you wanted.

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
That's about what it is, just a lot of tiny, tiny screws and some thermal pads to account for.

Much of this kind of depends on what you want to spend vs. what you really need to cool.

What is your cooling budget that you absolutely cannot exceed? EK has some aluminum cooling kits that also include a GPU block (uncertain if 5700XT is supported, though). Otherwise, there are some other creative routes to pursue, if you wanted.

Like what other routes you mean? o,O

Well the thing is it doesn't seem right to spend more than what the CPU is worth to keep it cool you know, but i've been wrong before :p, so lets say $400-$450

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Here is the disclaimer I want to make very clear before proceeding:

You can spend the $400-$450 to upgrade graphics, SSD, CPU, etc and see better performance than by purchasing watercooling components.

This is the reality you will need to determine as to whether that is value to you, or is the cooling system of value to you?

Why are you wanting to cool the CPU and GPU with AIOs or with liquid cooling? What is the history behind this plan? (It isn't wrong, I am just trying to get a grasp on your priorities to best advise you)

Reactions: Phaaze88

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Here is the disclaimer I want to make very clear before proceeding:

You can spend the $400-$450 to upgrade graphics, SSD, CPU, etc and see better performance than by purchasing watercooling components.

This is the reality you will need to determine as to whether that is value to you, or is the cooling system of value to you?

Why are you wanting to cool the CPU and GPU with AIOs or with liquid cooling? What is the history behind this plan? (It isn't wrong, I am just trying to get a grasp on your priorities to best advise you)

The thing is as much as I like using Quadros, 10180 ti and 20180 ti, they are way overpriced so unless there's a 5800 or 5900xt no upgrado grafico for me :)
as for 3950x, not sure i'd be able to use all its potential on a 6+2 phase mini itx.
If watercooling means I get to work for 5hrs without thermal issues then yeah , all ears :), unless you think cpu coolers are gonna work just fine

not sure but if watercoolig can shave off a good 15 degrees C from cpu temp then, why not?

thinking about building another custom case and portability is up there; the bulkiest bit being a 750w G3 Supernova at 8.5x15x15cm. the whole idea was to use a 360x120mm cooler and a 240x120mm for gpu (or two 360s)and still have about 3cm of wriggle room, overall making it about the same size as a 15'' laptop only several inches thicker. That way I can have a closed loop with warranty and still be able to put it in a normal backpack; know its gonna be heavy.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Temps will be lower overall, but this might be more of an issue with your current setup and airflow (if you are seeing bad temps - is this the case?) Airflow might be a different issue altogether.

You can easily work all day using air cooling as long as you have good airflow in your chassis to all components, watercooling never should be a requirement. If it is, then there is a larger issue of overall airflow or cooling requirements for the components in question.

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016
Temps will be lower overall, but this might be more of an issue with your current setup and airflow (if you are seeing bad temps - is this the case?) Airflow might be a different issue altogether.

You can easily work all day using air cooling as long as you have good airflow in your chassis to all components, watercooling never should be a requirement. If it is, then there is a larger issue of overall airflow or cooling requirements for the components in question.
Hey hey :)

Oh no, air flow is more than fine, just need help finding the best watercooling solution for CPU and GPU at a reasonable price

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can do a few different things, one being a kit + purchase of a waterblock that fits your card. You will want to ensure the exact card SKU or model number is supported by the block. This will likely run to about the max of your budget of $450 or so.

Piecing a loop together can be as expensive or less expensive depending on what you decide to cut corners on, but you can also choose components from different manufacturers as you wish so you aren't locked into using all the same gear.

You can take an expandable AIO like EK, Swiftech or Alphacool have and add a graphics card to the configuration. Some of them even use quick disconnects so you can easily snap components together. This can also get expensive, but also depends on what you are looking at. Some use quick DC's and some would rely on you draining/filling back up once you splice in the graphics card/fittings/tubing to complete the updated loop.

Any of these are valid approaches. What do you want to consider?

(I might end up adding something like this to the watercooling sticky, kind of gives me that idea...)

Solution

arni75

Reputable
Jun 15, 2016

You can take an expandable AIO like EK, Swiftech or Alphacool have and add a graphics card to the configuration. Some of them even use quick disconnects so you can easily snap components together. This can also get expensive, but also depends on what you are looking at. Some use quick DC's and some would rely on you draining/filling back up once you splice in the graphics card/fittings/tubing to complete the updated loop.

Any of these are valid approaches. What do you want to consider?

(I might end up adding something like this to the watercooling sticky, kind of gives me that idea...)
Oh wow, thanks,
have to piece them together and compare prices but think a kit+ gpu block and a couple more fittings is the less difficult route for me , I guess 🤓

That sounds amazing, we always appreciate the help :p

Have a great afternoon, Cheers

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Will your case support a 360 radiator? I think above you mentioned it would...I'll begin there first.

Kits from this page would be highly recommended: http://www.performance-pcs.com/comp...ocks--swiftech/radiator-size--360-3-x-120mm/?

With a GPU block that fits your specific GPU (you might need to do the research yourself, or list the exact product here for help)

Plus 2x fittings for the GPU block that fit tubing for the chosen kit.