Question Penny-Wise or Pound-Foolish?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I could use some advice; My current system is over 6 years old and crashes periodically playing FO76. However that is not the primary use of the system; Adobe Lightroom is, and it takes quite a long time to load my 24000 image catalog. Its time to upgrade.

At any rate the question is to wait until Zen 2 is available (just a few months) or to consider the great value of a 2700X. My monitor is a 1440p 60Hz, and the video card is a GTX 1070 ti overclocked. I should also mention that I have also purchased a new case (FD R6) and PSU (Seasonic Focus+ 650 Gold) in anticipation of the build. I also planned to purchase 2 NVMe drives (500GB for W10 and Applications and a 1TB for data)

Given what we know or at least anticipate from Zen 2, would I even notice a difference in performance between the 2700X and 3700X?
Thanks for any guidance.....

D

Deleted member 14196

The 2700 X is a wonderful processor is great at hosting VM’s and doing tons of heavy workload stuff. Plus you’ll pay more for the newer architecture if you wait but it’s totally up to you because you would see even more performance gains if you wait