Pentinum fan turns to AMD

nextsean

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
I just ordered my first AMD system from a online store.

AMD XP 1600
ENLGHT MID Case 340W
EPOX 8KHA+
CRUCIAL 256MB
MAXTOR 80GB 7200RPM
PIONEER 16X DVD

All for $626.

I thought about buying GeForce 3 Ti200, but I'll wait until the price drops little bit.

I am so excited!

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Have'nt yet seen a dvd movie on a pc, apparently it can be quite good and awesome sound. Enjoy.

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
nice system, and also have ya thought about a radeon 8500. i've heard that the latest drivers are quite nice. well have fun once ya get that puppy runnin, or shall i say tiger? :smile:

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
That's when you are out of coffee, your brain goes a little num. get it: num num

Nostradamus: "In the year 2002 naked alien women will descend to earth"

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
i thought he was talking about the heatsink and fan or a casefan...
anyways....good for you nextsean.

:mad: <A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/compare2k1.shtml?2096468" target="_new">P4 + SDRAM</A> = <b>BAD</b> :mad:

G

lol.. i thought fan also..

Can anyone teach me how to overclock time? I need more of it for 2002!

nextsean

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
You know, I think you might be right.

I've always had something against ATI, but R 8500 seems to be pretty good. Hmm, what do get... 8500, Ti200, or Ti500. Although Ti500 would be nice, I am not will to spend a half a grand on a video card. Any recommendation on video card that will go nicely with my soon to be system? Also, I almost ordered Plextor 42x/10x/40 cdrw. But I didn't want to spend $150 for it. I will be ripping a lot of DVDs and convert them to SVCDs to play on my DVD Pioneer component for my TV. So I need something that will burn basically anything correctly. Any recommendation on this?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Here's <A HREF="http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=15" target="_new">another forum</A> for that question. Also check the CDRW section here.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

nextsean

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
BTW, what OS should I be using? Although I should be getting Windows XP for my athlon xp, I don't want to spend any more money on XP. I already have Windows 98SE, ME, W2K Pro. I used to test Windows Pro, Server, Adv Server, and Datacenter. In the early days, A lot of games couldn't be run on W2K. So I stayed away from it partly because I used to play games a lot back then and partly because I was sick of looking at it.

I assume almost all the games coming now now a days runs on W2K? right?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not particularly... no more than the pentium4 is.

the XP in athlon XP stands for extreme performance, no XP as in windows XP. good way of getting publicity and sales though u would have to admit.

the main improvements of the XP over the Athlon is approx 20% energy consumption and heatoutput reduction at the same Mhz, hardware prefetch, and SSE instructions.

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.

eden

Champion
Nope, it means eXPerience. I recall MS speaking about it. I mean it does deliver a new experience anyway!
Although I do not know that running AXP on Win98 would generally be faster as Win98 is less bulky. Any comp on WinXP will have less performance, but not much in the new generation. Except for the exceptional Radeon 8500's case who drains down.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i thought i stood for:
extra pain (i.e. product activation)

or possibly
extreme pissfartingabout
extreme poo?

The only loyalties i have is to Performance, Cost
Reliability and the Truth.

nextsean

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
OK I appreciate everyone's input, but it seems like I still don't have my answer. So what should it be? W2K or XP?

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
you MUST use winXP if you want to take FULL advantage of your athlonXP cpu. otherwise, it's going to feel like you're on a k6 450 or something.
<b>remember-</b>believe everything you see on tv, (commercials, tech shows, etc), as well is everything you read on the net (microsoft's and amd's site included)......IT'S ALL TRUE!

[insert philosophical statement here]

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
LOL

LOL LOL

ok, to the guys question.

If you have to choose between the two now, get xp, the only time I would reccomend 2k over xp(they are basically the same except xp has more features) is when the person already has 2k.

XP is a good upgrade for every os except for win2k, when you already have win2k, you wont see enough new things with xp to justify the cost imo.

Editors note(changed xp to 2k)
"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 01/13/02 10:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>