Pentium 2 system is not starting, northbridge is hot

jne0xff

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Hello! I got my hands on a very old computer (Pentium 2, 64Mb SDRAM, AT PSU). PSU had switch 230V/115V, which was in the "115V" position, but I live in area, where we use 230V mains. So, sure enough, fuse inside the PSU was blown. I found similar 200W AT PSU and installed it.
Now, computer has SP368 GPU with single VGA output. So I turn power switch on the case, PSU and processor fans begin to spin, and nothing else happens: no beeps, no video output. I can't hear HDD drive spinning, and neither can I open\close CD drive (pressing button does nothing). When I connect my other old HDD to PSU, I can clearly hear that it starts spinning.
Removing RAM doesn't help: still no beeps.
So, the question is: what are the odds that someone who switched PSU to "115V" mode fried whole computer (motherboard, HDD, ODD, other peripherals)? And is it possible to get this thing running again?

UPD #1
So I figured out HDD, ODD and FDD at least seem to be alive, since I removed them from case and connected to working ATX PSU. The strange thing is that those devices now come alive in the same manner when I connect them back to AT PSU.
The second thing is that I found motherboard model: 6ZX2. It has an ATX (along with standard AT) connector and SOFTPWR pins (maybe they are to be shorted to power on the machine. I will read manual for that). So what I am going to do is to try connecting ATX PSU to motherboard and finding spare fan as indicator that motherboard is running (apart from CPU fan there is nothing else to indicate that system is running. Speaker is still silent).
Yeah, and I removed all devices but CPU, RAM and GPU (hope old system won't complain about missing sound card).

UPD #2
Managed to connect ATX PSU to this motherboard, and shorting SOFTPWR pins indeed turns it on. Nevertheless I don't hear any beeps, I don't see image on VGA output of graphics card. Also I observed that northbridge is getting hot. CPU heatsink is cool (with unplugged fan).

So here is current status:

• ■ Upon turning motherboard on fans start spinning
    ■ Northbridge is getting warm (even hot)
    ■ Can't hear any beeps (speaker is connected, though I can't be sure it's working)
    ■ PSU 5V/12V lines are within tolerance

Here is motherboard manual: http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/manuals/6ZX2/6zx2.pdf

Also I'd like to note that no more than 1 week ago I replaced my brother's computer which has exactly the same symptoms (i.e. fans spinning, northbridge gets hot, nothing else). So is it common motherboard failure? I couldn't find anything similar.

jne0xff

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015
Thank you for your reply!

Fuses are fine. Actually, all that time I worked inside the case. Now, to better see those fuses, I removed the motherboard from the case and installed motherboard, CPU, RAM and GPU on the wooden surface. Also, I changed battery (since old one was dead, ~0.2V) and cleared CMOS. I don't know which one helped, but I managed to get system to boot! I got image on my display, though now my main problem is to find a way to connect keyboard to this big DIN connector (if I get it right, this is the only way, since PS/2 port is reserved for mouse). Anyway, thanks, I am very excited now!