Pentium 200 Heatsink Removal

G

Hey everyone, I'm trying to build a cool looking machine out of an old Asus motherboard and a Pentium 200 CPU I've got. I'm going to mount the board on a think piece of perspex, and then attach a power supply and hard drive underneath. I'm going to use a Super Orb I've got lying around as a heatsink, with the fand removed - which
a) will look damn cool as a passive heatsink
b) will be silent
c) should cool fine for an old Pentium 1.

However, I can't seem to get the standard heatsink off! I'm told it's stuck on with epoxy. Is this true, and if so, is it possible to get it off? I'd really like to be able to remove it, because if I can, the only noise will be the HDD and the Power Supply fan - maybe I'll even put in a boot ROM and lose the HDD :)

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, or experience with the number crunching inferno that is the Pentuim Classic [ :) ] , I'd love to know about it.

Also, can I post pictures to these forums? If so I'll post a MAX render I made of what it'll look like, and I'll throw a picture of the finished product on here once it's up and running.

Thanks a lot

Ben

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
ok, it MAY be epoxy'd on, but shouldnt be.the tope of the old pentium cpus arnt fragile like they are now, so a thin screwdriver may well be able to lift it off, if not, heres how to get it off.
Put cpu and heatsink in plastic bag. Place in freezer for about 20-30 mins. the heatsink will then lever off easily (ish). leave cpu to completely dry as it will have some condensation. I've done this a few times on vid cards and works well.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
CALV is exactly right.
But, in the event that that doesn't work, buy some cheap guitar strings, and use the high E (it's the thinnest). Slide it between the heatsink and the chip, and cut the thing off. Then clean the epoxy with something abrasive, and rubbing alcohol.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>

G

Now, i'm betting that that old pi does not have epoxy on it. back in the day they had retention devices which held the hsf onto the processor itself. Look on the sides of the processor there could be a couple of tabs or something. In my case they just pull of to the side and then the "clip" comes off. Then you can take the heatsink off.

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
No, you misunderstood me. I said "Vice and Sledgehammer". Works much better.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

G

Thanks for your replies, there's no clips or anything holding the heatsink on, it's just stuck to the core. I think the guitar string is the best bet; I play guitar so there'll be plenty of spare ones lying around.

I might try to get a hold of some abrasive wire though; that might work better, and it might also come thinner then a high E.

TRENDING THREADS