Pentium 3 Bus Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I mentioned you need to find out what board you have. Several things to worry about:
1.) MANY Slot 1 boards used JUMPERS for selecting bus speed.
2.) Some Slot 1 boards didn't support Coppermine core processors. Coppermine core 100MHz bus processors include the 500E, 550E, 600E, 650E, 700E, 750E, 800E, 850E, 900E, and 1000E. All those except the 1000E were available as Socket 370 OR Slot 1. All had 256k cache, and most sellers don't include the "E" in the name, leaving you to guess based on other information.
3.) The previous core works with all Slot 1 PIII boards, but was only available up to 600MHz. It was available as a 450, 500, 550, 600, and 600B. The B version ran with a 133MHz bus!
4.) Boards capable of supporting Coppermine cores had a newer voltage regulator specification that allowed processors of as little as 1.30v core voltage. That also allows them to work with the inexpensive Upgradeware Slot-T Tualatin adapter, which would let you use a Tualatin Celeron 1400! These are the most powerfull Celerons ever produced, clock for clock, they compete well with the P4 1.6 (williamette) and Celeron 2.0GHz.

So like I said, you REALLY want to find out what board you're using.

You can often find more information at <A HREF="http://www.wimsbios.com" target="_new">http://www.wimsbios.com</A>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I didn't say that. I said all CURRENT boards. Big difference. I told people to build an XP system or wait for better boards, depending on how fast they needed it and what their budget was.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
You said all CURRENT a64 boards were junk.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That I did. I bet a whole bunch of enthusiast will be ecstatic that they waited for the nForce3 250.

BTW, I also made exception for the Soyo K8USA because I didn't know enough about it.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yeah that possible 2% gain in performance coupled with with a lockable agp.. yup i'd be glad I waited 10 months to avoid that junk.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remember my original gripe was with RAM problems. Read Anandtech's article on the nForce3 250, they mention the problems they had with previous chipsets. Also read THG if it doesn't offend you. My hope in the 755 chipset was based on better RAM support, it also has no locks to the best of my knowledge.

The nForce3 250 is offering more RAM stability, increased performance, AGP/PCI locks, and a shitload of features previous A64 chipsets didn't have. Well worth the wait, unless you're a VIA fan.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
I think p4-man put it nicely on your junk platform opinion

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=174995#174995" target="_new"> Clicky for crash </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm sorry to have to say this, wait, no I'm not.

For me a lie is a lie. Your attempt to decieve is nothing more to me than another lie. P4-Man wasn't refering to anything I said, he was refering to something someone else said. When you called the opinion of another member mine, it was a deception, to me just another one of your lies.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Why do you always pull stunts like that. No as you fully know he was responding to paul. but it does sum up your pathetic opinion rather nicely.

and quite calling me a liar. It makes you sound so desperate.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
BTW hero, you got a link to somewhere where i ever lied about anything?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> P4-Man wasn't refering to anything I said, he was refering
>to something someone else said.

Well, if you like I could copy paste the post here, since it seems the same arguments apply here as well (with the exception that in the other thread the focus was purely on gaming, so I left out Hyperthreading, and the perfomance advantages of the A64 are much more obvious in gaming than overall).

>Also read THG if it doesn't offend you.

Can't speak for Darko, but the review didnt offend me at all, and could have been quite interesting, but I do have to ask why on earth THG didn't test those boards with the latest available BIOS versions. I'm fairly certain those test results showed nothing a new Bios revision or even bios tweaking could not resolve. Its worth pointing out that most of these boards have 2 or 3 newer BIOS revisions out since the test was conducted, and all 3 of the boards I bothered to check had newer versions available well before the test was published, yet THG did not bother to install or even mention this. It renders the conclusions fairly useless to me.

Its also worth pointing out that Anand has complained about the *exact* same issues with several 865 boards, including intels very own boards, I provided the link and quote in the other thread.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: Well worth the wait, unless you're a VIA fan.

Looks like anandtech opinion on all a64 boards conflicts with your opinion on all Current a64 boards being junk. I'll take anandtechs opinion for credibility over yours. and I'm still waiting for that link where I am a liar.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2014&p=2" target="_new"> anantech picks via k8t800 and a64 over any intel system excluding fx53-51 or p4ee</A>

The ASUS K8V Deluxe offers several different advantages and features over other Socket 754 Athlon 64 motherboards that it makes it our recommendation today. First off, the K8V Deluxe's combined performance and price is superb; the K8T800 chipset's outstanding performance combined with features like Serial ATA (RAID), Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 1394 FireWire, SPDIF, and IDE RAID, among other nice features makes the K8V Deluxe a great high end board for the price. Normally, we wouldn't place a great deal of emphasis on price for a high end system like this, assuming we're not talking over $200. However, for just under $140, it's truly amazing the number of cutting edge features that can fit on a motherboard these days. Of course, this is not to mention the renowned reliability of ASUS motherboards. Having tested the K8V Deluxe extensively, we can assure that you will indeed enjoy a reliable and trouble-free experience for the most part. Overclockers may be especially pleased with this motherboard if they delve into Athlon 64 territory.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I call them like I see them. Deception puts me off debate. There is nothing left to discuss.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hi P4Man. Reviews don't offend me, except for a few at PC Stats which were written like an advertisement, and those were on video cards.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Anandtech also said the SiS 755 chipset was better than anything from VIA or nVidia, until they tested the new nForce3 250 which is better than everything including the SiS 755. So according to them nForce3 250 is best, followed by SiS 755. Why settle for the left over scrapings when Anandtech said those two are the best?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: I call them like I see them. Deception puts me off debate. There is nothing left to discuss.

Ok runaway, so you have nothing to prove me a liar. Thats what I thought.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: Anandtech also said the SiS 755 chipset was better than anything from VIA or nVidia, until they tested the new nForce3 250 which is better than everything including the SiS 755. So according to them nForce3 250 is best, followed by SiS 755. Why settle for the left over scrapings when Anandtech said those two are the best?

yeah well they just finished writing an article about the highend system for an enthusiast.. and over all they picked a64 on k8t800 over intel.

So how does this support your all CURRENT a64 platforms are junk?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, scroll up, you lied, you say I can't prove you lied, you've been deceiving these poor people all this time, and that proves your a looser. If I weren't so easily provoked, I'd not be discussing it. The fact I AM talking to you proves my weakness.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
And your point is? Intel? Who are they?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Really crash just what post did I lie in. Lying is a reasonably serious accusation one should not make lightly. If I ever lied I'd like to know where it was so I can at least defend myself. scroll up what post did I lie in?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: The fact I AM talking to you proves my weakness.

No your weakness is your ego, the fact you are still posting is pathetic.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Re: And your point is? Intel? Who are they?

Intel is a very large cpu chipset manufacturer among other things.

I was merely trying to clear up the all a64 platforms are junk theory you have been throwing around.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
um i dont see any intel defending

hes just trying to tell him how to get the most out of his system

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Thankyou for clearing that up.