[SOLVED] Pentium 3

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Am curious...

My friends Dell Pentium 3 system finally went down, almost assuredly to a failed power supply. Have no intention of attempting to fix it at this point. I do wonder though. I am not in the know so far as specifics but am aware of some following to these old machines. I 'might' have a good motherboard, CPU, RAM, a video and network card...etc. maybe would be useful to someone interested in such systems.

The CPU I currently have runs something like 500mhz IIRC, but I cannot find any manner of identifier on it aside from Intel Pentium 3 and a hologram sticker. How can I ID this part?

Solution
the model number/speed/other info should be printed in gold/brownish lettering on the top edge of the slotted CPU

PIII-550-512-100-20V-SL3F7.JPG

the one in this image is a PIII 550MHz/512 cache/100 Mhz bus/ 2.0V

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Well...someone might be interested in the CPU/RAM.
A 13.6GB IDE HDD is basically worthless on its own.

If you have a matching motherboard, sell all of it as a whole set.

For the CPU, that black cover almost certainly comes off for a better ID.

Yup, taking the cover off is how I discovered that the cooler fastener clips are very brittle. There are no markings underneath, but the board looks more akin to the aforementioned generation than the other pics I could find of them.
I have the mobo, a network card, and video card that I figure is all fine.

Where would one go to see or do comparative pricing on such items?

edit- keeping the HDD more as a reference of age than intent to pass along.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If the motherboard works, you can use chkcpu:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/chkcpu.htm

Working ide drives have quite a bit of value still since older industrial equipment need them. In fact, any working older hardware is valuable since they aren't made anymore.

Worse case, just give it away--but don't throw it away. Someone that takes them will find use for them.

Where I have dealt with this system quite a few times I am not sure I ever documented what it actually was, short of digging through a lot of possible email traffic or the like. Pretty sure the PSU popped and without having the proper type to power the drive, I am not spending money on it to find out. It had a darn good run considering this rig has been on almost every single day since 2000.

Where I have dealt with this system quite a few times I am not sure I ever documented what it actually was, short of digging through a lot of possible email traffic or the like. Pretty sure the PSU popped and without having the proper type to power the drive, I am not spending money on it to find out. It had a darn good run considering this rig has been on almost every single day since 2000.
Sounds like a nice project for someone that wants to put in the time--I'd give it away locally to someone that's wanting to mess with it, or for the cost of shipping on here.