Trixie

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2004
Hello,

I recently purchased a Pentium4 3E Processor and have it running on a MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum Motherboard with 1 Gig of RAM.

I have all the latest bios, drivers etc. installed and when I ran 3D Mark2001 the system shut down due to an overheat. It is not overclocked and I have the system set in bios to version 1.1 Hyper Thread instead of 1.4 which is where it was on first shut down, but the same thing is happening. Any 3D intensive application I have run sends the temp of the processor up considerably more then any Hyper Threading Processor I have used before.
What is the Safe Operating Temprature of this series of processor? Intel's site info on it is lame at best. The system is not Overclocked and I am using the fan that came retail boxed with the processor.

Any help is appreciated.........Thanks........Trixie

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
HA HA HA!!! Intel got you, you should have bought a P4C not a Presc<b>HOT</b>t!

OK, you might only need to reinstalled your HSF, maybe the contact between the CPU and the heatsink is not good. Remove your heatsink, clean the thermal paste, apply a small quantity of new thermal paste and put pack the heatsink, this might correct the problem. You can monitor temp. with Motherboard Monitor (search Google).

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are going to want the LATEST bios with that board. The Prescott issues with MSI's NEO series are cleared up by the latest revision. In my NEO-FIS2R-version 1, BIOS 2.0 deals specifically with this issue. Get it back up and running and use MSI Live Update to grab the latest revision for your board.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds. Now, let's eat!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Tripple check your heat sink contact, you might have a clip off or something. Make sure you have un-obstructed air flow around the CPU. Make sure your case fans flow thru the case to promote more air flow.

<b>My sig is better than yours.<b>