Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz Willamette Core CPU

Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Subject: Williamette core vs New motheboards
Hi all,

I have a old Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz Willamette Core cpu. Couple days ago my motheboard died, and so I went ahead to purchase another motherboard at Fry's (MSI's PT880 Neo-FSR). I tried the motheboard with the cpu, no post screen. Swapped cpu and memory, same result.

Later I read the motherboard box and it says it supports northwood/prescott, so I am wondering if it supports the willamette core (backward compatible?)

If this board won't fit, which one should I get? People tell me that mobo that uses the Intel 865 chipset will work, but I want to make sure.

Please help.

endyen

Splendid
Sorry, as you can read here <A HREF="http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kbase.php?categories=1&model=79&faq_id=239" target="_new">http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/kbase.php?categories=1&model=79&faq_id=239</A> 865 and 875 boards do not support williamette cores, due to power requirements.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
From <A HREF="http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=636&kind=1" target="_new">MSI 's PT880 Neo-FSR CPU Support list</A>
Williamettes are not supported

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some 865 and 875 boards DID support Willies, we've had FORUM MEMBERS with that CPU on newer boards. It's INTEL who tried to make them non cross-compatable with the new VRM for Prescott, but some boards are supporting 1.30v-1.85v or whatever and both Prescott and Willy, rather than supporting the full VRM possibility for Prescott (think it's 1.05v to 1.60v or something).

The fact that some forum members have already put Willies on certain 865 and 875 boards proves the fact. I think it might have been some of Asus's boards that supported Willies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I should say supported them "unofficially".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've just confirmed the original Asus P4P800 working with the Williamette core Socket 478 P4. It's an 865PE board. I really didn't feel like searching for the information previously, but with people handing out bad advice based on "what should be true" rather than "what is true" I just had to find the info.

Invisible

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2002
Thanks a lot guys!

Interesting info, I suppose the market nowadays really want to get the willy out of the way. I have visited so many stores, and they all claimed that my CPU is fried (coz of no POST screen). Tried numerous amount of boards (including the Intel's 845 and 865PERL, 865GLC or whatever) until some local stores dig up some pretty darn old motherboard to prove that the cpu is functional, so now it's all good. Thanks again!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm surprised the 845 board didn't work. As for 848 and 865 boards from Intel, the new VRM standard IS theirs so of course they follow it. Asus simply decided to expand processor support on their board.

TRENDING THREADS