Status
Not open for further replies.

dev15mech

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Hi i have a pentium 4 2.8 ghz machine with 2 gb ram. i want to play game on it. but during playing it gives 100% usage of memory. Hence i want to upgrade my system but with least expenses hence i want to know is it ok to go with 2 gb extra ram or change my processor to core 2 duo....

D

Deleted member 217926

If you want to play any new games get rid of that P4 ASAP. A Core2Duo is not really obsolete yet and with a good overclock you can still play most games really well as long as you have a good graphics card.
Does your motherboard support the upgrade?
You want to game you need a graphics card. What are the rest of your specs and what kind of budget do you have?

dev15mech

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
I have 2.8 Ghz Asus Motherboard P5KLPM . Graphics card Nvidia-9500GT. i just want to play game like Batman Arkham Asylum, Hawx-Tom Clincy's . But during playing pc is going too slow...Hence i just thinking about upgrading my ram to 4 gb instead of 2 gb is it benefit my machine?

if it will beneficial then it saves my budget a lot.

otherwise i have to upgrade to core 2 duo...

D

Deleted member 217926

Like said above upgrading to 4gb of RAM will have almost no effect on your gaming. You are severely limited by that old P4.

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116265 like Psycho said would be a huge improvement over what you have. It seems to be a great overclocker as well. That being said it is still a Celeron and is handicapped by a tiny 1mb cache so its not really going to be a great gamer either.

The 9500GT is also a little on the slow side for most newer games although many will be playable with all the effects off and at low resolutions.

If I was you I would save money and do a new build.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Contrary to what people are saying, the core 2 duo still has at least 2 more years of life in it even with core i3 coming out. Intel may stop making chips for that exact sku but it doesnt mean that the processor is useless. I am ekeing out the most out of my e7500, and before that I did so with the e4600, if you buy at least the e 7400, or the e7500 now, you will not regret it.

First thing first, chech out if your motherboard can even use a core 2 duo of this level.

If so, then you will have no problem. Seeing as your mb can only hold 2GB MAX? Then I doubt you can use your motherboard. If so, you should think hard if you wantto buy a really decent LGA775 or go AMD since they are cheaper and get an AMD processor. If you do have a budget, this or a new LGA775 such as the asus 5pq or an intelX45. FOr AMD asus m4a785td is decent at $100. Then you can get processors at around $80-200 for these boards that will last you for a while.

If you dont have a budget then just get an X58 all together and you will use that for a long long time. It will still be decent in 5-7years from now. It just costs alot more.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
i would strongly recommend waiting 10 days , intel is launching the i3 at CES in january .... they will be awesome nehalem dual cores . do NOT get lga775 core 2 now .

asus p7p55d-e(usb and sata 3) + core i3 would be good . 4gb ram kits are well below 100$ now , some even lower with rebates .

Status
Not open for further replies.