Pentium 4 630 (3.00Ghz, 800FSB etc)

Sketch7000

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hi everyone!!

Ok, i have got a system running a Pentium 4 630 CPU. Out of curiousity I downloaded WCPUID to see what it said (have never used it before).

It showed the correct speed of 3GHz, but in the L2 Cache memory box it showed 128kb?

The P4 630 should have 2Mb i thought?????

Im not sure if i've got my wires completly crossed somewhere, im no computer expert (as im sure you can tell!!)

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks a lot,
Nigel

P.S. Not really the correct section of this site to ask in, but as im here..... when i turn the machine on, instead of seeing the page which shows how much RAM etc, and what hard drives / CD drives are installed, I get some daft image with my Motherboards model code etc. Is there any way of stopping this so i can see what you 'normally' see?

Thanks again!!!

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
This might be because the system is a Celeron 3.0 GHz, and not a Pentium 4 3.0 GHz.

Here is a link to Intels processors:
http://www.intel.com/products/processor/index.htm?iid=HMPAGE+Header_2_Product_Processors

If it only has 128 KB L2 then it is one of the older Celerons most likely.

It might be listed on:
http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx?familyid=3&culture=en-US
; if it is a Celeron.

However it should be labelled and sold as such.

Note: HP, Fujitsu, etc can special order CPUs from Intel with non-standard specifications, the CPU in question might not be listed on the Intel website.

If you got it from a dodgy PC shop it is prob just an overclocked Celeron (128 KB L2) processor.

Intel® Processor Identification Utility link:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1881&lang=eng

It will tell you what your CPU really is. :p

You can also right click "My Computer, (which might be in the Start Menu, otherwise top left on the Desktop) and click Properties" at the bottom of the list, to see something like this:

System-Properties.png

That should also show the correct and current speed for Intel processors, just like the Intel® Processor Identification Utility above.

Selling overclocked computers is illegal btw. As is misleading consumers into thinking they have a Pentium 4 when they are getting something else.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
There is no Celeron on 3.0GHz, and there is Celeron D with 256kB L2.
That WCPUID that you've downloaded is probably very old. Take CPU-Z, it is small(in kB) free utility that gives a lot of informations about cpu/northbridge/ram system(you can dl from www.benchmarkhq.ru)

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
There might be a Celeron 2.4 GHz, running with a 500 Mhz FSB (125 Mhz QDR), and thus running at 3.0 GHz if you get my gist. (Possible purchase of an overclocked system).

If system builders are still doing dodgy things like this...... May explain why some people have issues with their PCs at least. (Esp if RAM divider wasn't setup, etc).

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
its not a celeron processor if it is a PENTIUM 4 630.

lol.

second try using a different program before you get all worried. cpu-z is good.

and to turn off that boot screen, go into your bios, and under advanced where your boot options are, "quick boot"etc. there should be an option that says something like "show logo on boot" disable that. now your computer should show your post results. ie. ram, proc speed, etc etc.

Is there any way of stopping this so i can see what you 'normally' see?

Thanks again!!!

Yes. Get into BIOS and there should be a setting to disable what is called a "Splash Screen" or "Logo Screen". This will allow you to see the normal information. To get into BIOS press F2 or Delete as your computer starts up. Most mother boards will use ONE of those two keys to get into BIOS, but yours may be different.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
[/quote]Yes. Get into BIOS and there should be a setting to disable what is called a "Splash Screen" or "Logo Screen". This will allow you to see the normal information. To get into BIOS press F2 or Delete as your computer starts up. Most mother boards will use ONE of those two keys to get into BIOS, but yours may be different.[/quote]

your most likely looking for the word "LOGO" in your boot options.

and if it does have a password on the bios, just clear the cmos. no more PW 8)

Sketch7000

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Hi everyone!!

Thanks alot for the replies so far! Just to clarify, the processor IS a P4 630 3.0 Ghz 800FSB etc, i bought it myself from a reputable place and it was in its genuine Intel box with seals etc!

I will try the other suggested program this evening and see what it tells me about the L2 cache then!

Whilst im here, the reason i discovered all this is that the system is a little slow, the most notable time is when i turn my digital camera on and wait for the photos to appear in one of my windows folders....