I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the clock speed on
his Pentium 4 processor.
Any ideas?

--

Darrell R. Schmidt
B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/

In news:NoFSe.17494$sw6.13404@fed1read05,
Darrell S <dumbwid@fox.com> typed:

> I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the
> clock
> speed on his Pentium 4 processor.
> Any ideas?

This is not a Windows question, and is really inappropriate here,
but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. Overclocking (which is
what you are asking about) is foolhardy and looking for trouble.
It's like a souped-up car, modified by some kid who thinks it's
"cool." If your friend wanted a faster computer, he should have
bought one. He saved a few dollars by not doing so, and now he
wants to risk the stability of his computer and the safety of his
data by overclocking it. It makes no sense to me at all.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Darrell S wrote:
> I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the clock
> speed on his Pentium 4 processor.
> Any ideas?

Don't unless it is expendable.
If it is not expendable - buy a faster motherboard/processor/RAM combo.

If it is expendable - google for "overclock".

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Darrell S wrote:

> I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the clock speed on
> his Pentium 4 processor.
> Any ideas?

Post to a hardware group. This is for Windows XP OS.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

In article <NoFSe.17494$sw6.13404@fed1read05>, dumbwid@fox.com says...
> I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the clock speed on
> his Pentium 4 processor.

it's called "Over-clocking" and there are thousands of websites on how
to do it - and thousands more with posts about how it failed or how it
made the users computer unstable or how, due to being unstable it
trashed the users data on their hard drive.....

Over-clocking is for people that don't really need the computer it's
being done too.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

sc

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

This depends more on your motherboard, RAM modules, PS and cooling systems
solutions to achieve a favourable result. If the components are top notch,
a little OC will do no harm at all.

Leythos wrote:

> > I have a friend who has asked if I knew a way to increase the clock speed on
> > his Pentium 4 processor.
>
> it's called "Over-clocking" and there are thousands of websites on how
> to do it - and thousands more with posts about how it failed or how it

Not only that but overclocking info and how to do it is often in the
quick setup motherboard "poster" these days.