PENTIUM 4 EXTREME EDITION QUESTION

ibmnetvista

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Can a Fast Single corp cpu such as a pentium extreme at 3.8 - 4.0 ghz outperform a 1.8 dual core when playing games that only utilize one corp ?? if the game only uses one of the cpu's core and its only 1.8 wont a faster single core do a better job? or the the architecture of the chip make that big of a difference...i guess 900 and something pins is faster than 478 no matter what??? help!!!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Not sure what you mean by single core game, most games today are multi-threaded to take advantage of dual-core CPUs, since based on newer archtecture no matter how fast a Core 2 will pwn an old P4. For your question yes it would, but again how old is your game if it is only single-threaded?

ibmnetvista

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010

s to single threaded games, believe it or not the dual core will still be faster. For one, most dual cores use clock cycles more efficiently than the old single cores, so even if only one core is running, its still going to be quicker. Also, excess load from the operating system and other programs will be offloaded to the second core (which is not active under single thread programs), so it frees up one core to work much harder on the game or app.

THATS WHATI FOUND....AND GTA SAN ANDREAS AND GTA4 I THINK ARE ALL SINGLE THREADED GAMES

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
GTA: San Andreas yes is single-threaded assumed by the fact that they recommend a Pentium 4, but GTA 4 was released in 2008 and on their recommended specs box it mentions the Intel Q6600, a 2.4 Ghz quad core processsor. GTA 4 is optimized for multiple threads.

ibmnetvista

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
well dont i feel stupid now.... im building a badass top of the line comp soon...should i get the i7930 or wait for the 6 core to come out soon??? also 12gb of ddr3 ram at 2400mhz!!!!! instead of 1600mhz (still fast).......my specs should be : cpu: Quad core 4.0gz....12 gb ram at 2400mhz.....1 TB harddrive.... anything else u would suggest besides a good video card?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
A quad-core 4 Ghz? That would be OC since the 930 runs at 2.8 Ghz. 12GB of RAM right now is a little redundant since 6 or 8 is the norm for high end right now and is just expensive. Other than that I think you know your stuff you should be fine.

The i7 930 would be plenty, there is almost no performance difference between the i5 750 and the i7 930 so i doubt adding 2 more physical cores(4 logical cores) onto the four physical cores(8 logical cores) of the i7 would help much.

There is no benefit for more than 4GB of ram when gaming, for an LGA 1366 rig i still suggest a 6GB kit to make full use of the available bandwidth but 12GB wont do anything but be more expensive, neither will 2400MHz ram vs 1600MHz CL7. Rarely is memory speed your bottleneck.

To go with your good video card, make sure you get a good power supply, many people under value them but its the one component in your system that should not need a replacement within 5 years, more if you get a high quality unit.

ibmnetvista

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[thanks man...im gonna compare prices and if its like 20% more cash i will buy the stuff i dont need ( YET!).....i will have peace of mind knowing my comp is the best availible for like 6 months....powersupply is for sure gonna be a priority. And perhaps a good cooling system ( cuz i will be overclocking)...i just want more than i need i guess....but like i said if i can pay a bit more i will...but if its a drastic increase i wont...the asus p6 is that the best motherboard?? Man i so happy i have people to ask these questions ,i know the basics of computers...i can build em no problem tho...im just not not on the cutting edge anymore....but thanks for ur help alot