Pentium 4 HT to Core 2 Duo

G

What Core 2 Duo CPUs are compatible with my Motherboard?
I currently have a Pentium 4 HT 3.2Ghz CPU
I checked CPU-Z and this is what it says for my motherboard
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Model: LENOVO
Chipset: Intel 946PL/GZ Rev. C1
Southbridge: Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) Rev. A1
LPCIO: ITE IT8718

BIOS
Brand : LENOVO
Version: 2OKT30AUS
Date: 12/11/2006

Solution
A pentium D is 2 p4's sandwiched together on 1 chip, basically, so there is a good performance increase potential over a single p4. However, the Pentium D is a power hungry, hot running processor. If you can get one for that cheap, would not hurt to try it out and see.
G

Idk it doesnt say
My socket is LGA755 so i know that it supports some Core 2 Duo CPUs

Yes, they will both fit in same socket. However that does not mean they will work on the board. The only way to tell for sure is to check the boards compatibilty list. Only a few of the very latest, newest boards, could support the core duos. You may be lucky, but if you have a prebuild, it just aint going to happen.

G

What do you mean by prebuild? And I think there has to be a Core 2 Duo CPU supported on my motherboard my pentium 4 CPU is one of the newer ones with the new sticker http://cdn.tinhte.vn/attachments/20090624203752-intel_pentium_4_ht-png.1199369/

I was considering buying a Core 2 Duo E4700 from Amazon but I wasn't sure if its supported, and you all say my motherboard doesn't support any Core 2 Duos at all.
Anyways here is the link for the Core 2 Duo i wanted to buy
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Dual-Core-Processor-800MHz-LGA775/dp/B0015BUFCQ

G

Why didn't i get any more answers?
I need a definite yes or no before i order the Core 2 Duo E4700 for $100
I don't want to order something that won't work

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
According to Lenovo, this is what you are limited to:
Intel® Celeron® D Processor 331
Intel® Celeron® D Processor 336
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 524 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 531 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 541 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 620 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 641 with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 820
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 925
Intel® Pentium® D Processor 945 <------- The best that you can get for your motherboard $5 on Ebay

G

Ok then is it worth upgrading to the Pentium D 945 or should i stay with the P4?
Is the Pentium D noticeably faster than the P4?
I don't really play any games besides Half-Life 2, GTA 4 (Medium Settings with latest patch), and the older GTA games, and games from like 2005-2008.

A pentium D is 2 p4's sandwiched together on 1 chip, basically, so there is a good performance increase potential over a single p4. However, the Pentium D is a power hungry, hot running processor. If you can get one for that cheap, would not hurt to try it out and see.

Solution
G

OK then I'll probably look for a Pentium D cheap and try it out, I only use it for HD YouTube videos, and I use it as an old gaming rig to play old games from like 2002-2006.