Pentium D 805 OR Athlon64 3500 AM2 for gaming ?

shahramcat

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Recently, i want upgrade my PC for gaming but not for hight end . I have two choice :

1-Pentium D 805
2-Athlon64 3500

Now , please help me about choosing right CPU for my porpuse . also , i have upgarde plan for 7month later better to Core 2 ? !

which one is better now ?

Pentium D 805 Dual Core
ASus P5B chipset 965p
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

ITs up to you dear ! ! !

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Recently, i want upgrade my PC for gaming but not for hight end . I have two choice :

1-Pentium D 805
2-Athlon64 3500

Now , please help me about choosing right CPU for my porpuse . also , i have upgarde plan for 7month later better to Core 2 ? !

Pentium D 805 Dual Core
ASus P5B chipset 965p
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

ITs up to you dear ! ! !
Gaming goes to A64 3500+.

shahramcat

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
You mean this better than previous system ?

Amd Athlon 64 3500 AM2
Asus M2N-E 570 ultra
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

?????????

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Amd Athlon 64 3500 AM2
Asus M2N-E 570 ultra
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

?????????
Let me explain in greater detail as some will post useless black and white responses to meet their agenda.

An AMD Athlon64 3500+ is faster when gaming then an Intel Pentium D 805 by quite a large margin. Now, the way you asked the question seems to imply that you'd be looking at upgrading your processor in 7 months time which means around April of 2007. Given that you'd surely want a motherboard able to take on a new processor at that point in time and would surely want a more powerful processor to take advantage of all the new games, applications and of course Graphics Hardware then I simply cannot recommend the AMD Athlon64 3500+.

It's simple, AMD's only move by that point will be a 65nm shrink of their Athlon64. This indicates that performance/clk will remain the same save for a smaller chip. Totally not worth the upgrade and surely grossly underpowered for games such as Alan Wake.

To be quite honest an Intel Pentium D 805 should perform better under Alan Wake and other soon to be released multi-threaded games then an AMD Athon64 3500+ (which may not even be able to run the game at decent settings).

And in 7months time you'll be able to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, which is the best gaming platform that is available now and the best architecture even 7 months down the road (though we will have Quad Core variants by then).

So honestly, if I were you, I'd wait a bit and huddle up some more cash for a Core 2 Duo E6300. No point in getting an AM2 Athlon64, as potential upgrades for it in 7 months time will leave a sour taste in your mouth.

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Let me explain in greater detail as some will post useless black and white responses to meet their agenda.

An AMD Athlon64 3500+ is faster when gaming then an Intel Pentium D 805 by quite a large margin. Now, the way you asked the question seems to imply that you'd be looking at upgrading your processor in 7 months time which means around April of 2007. Given that you'd surely want a motherboard able to take on a new processor at that point in time and would surely want a more powerful processor to take advantage of all the new games, applications and of course Graphics Hardware then I simply cannot recommend the AMD Athlon64 3500+.

It's simple, AMD's only move by that point will be a 65nm shrink of their Athlon64. This indicates that performance/clk will remain the same save for a smaller chip. Totally not worth the upgrade and surely grossly underpowered for games such as Alan Wake.

To be quite honest an Intel Pentium D 805 should perform better under Alan Wake and other soon to be released multi-threaded games then an AMD Athon64 3500+ (which may not even be able to run the game at decent settings).

And in 7months time you'll be able to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo, which is the best gaming platform that is available now and the best architecture even 7 months down the road (though we will have Quad Core variants by then).

So honestly, if I were you, I'd wait a bit and huddle up some more cash for a Core 2 Duo E6300. No point in getting an AM2 Athlon64, as potential upgrades for it in 7 months time will leave a sour taste in your mouth.
I missed the "7 months upgrade"

Better buy a board that can support quad-core to be released.

shahramcat

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

Amd Athlon 64 3500 AM2
Asus M2N-E 570 ultra
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

?????????

That was great , thanks a lot my dear ...............

ok so ,
more patience be able to get better system finally !

but at this point i need new system for gaming ! and i think you suggested intel CPU Dual core is right now for me ! ok ? ? ? ? ?

maybe i able buy better VGA like 7600GS .........thank you

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Amd Athlon 64 3500 AM2
Asus M2N-E 570 ultra
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

?????????

That was great , thanks a lot my dear ...............

ok so ,
more patience be able to get better system finally !

but at this point i need new system for gaming ! and i think you suggested intel CPU Dual core is right now for me ! ok ? ? ? ? ?

maybe i able buy better VGA like 7600GS .........thank you

The Intel CPU is best ONLY if you intend on upgrading to a Core 2 Duo in 7 months time. Other then that the AMD system will give you better gaming performance for now then the Intel system you proposed (Pentium D 805).

It's quite complicated as games coming out will perform better on the Pentium D 805 then they would on the Athlon64 3500+ (hell Alan Wake will perform better on a Pentium4 with HT then an Athlon64). But games that are out right now do not benefit greatly for Multiple Cores.

Tough choice really.. on one hand I despise the Netburst CPU's (Pentium D) on the other I find myself having to recommend it due to recent information regarding Alan Wake, Crysis and UT2007. It's a tough call really... and I can't believe I'm recommending it.

Just make sure you upgrade to a Core 2 Duo later on... :p

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
athlon 3500+ will beat a pentium d 805, howver if you're overclocking a dual core cpu at a clock speed that will beat a 3500+ (around 3.4ghz) will do better as it has another core. It will be more fluent and if the apps are multithreaded then it will no doubt perform faster.
It does depend on if you're overclocking.
However you really might want to upgrade the graphics card to at least a 7600gt or 1800xt or 7900gs, perhaps.

a 7300gt or 7600gs is not really a gaming card and will perform lowly,they are more suited for watchiong video at a high resolution, not games :( You ought to spend more moneyon the card. :)

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

1-Pentium D 805
2-Athlon64 3500

Pentium D 805 Dual Core
ASus P5B chipset 965p
Gigabyte 7300 GT DDR2
Kingston 2*512 DDR2 533
Hard 80GB SATA2 Hitachi
Power 430w Real PFC

ITs up to you dear ! ! !

If you're going to core2 in 7 months, buy your core2duo mobo now, and get a Celeron D 326 ($45 shipped). Overclock it to 3.8GHz. That should be enough to put the bottleneck back on the graphics card at typical gaming settings. Have a nice day.

shahramcat

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Thank all of you :D

im afraid that i cant Overclock PD 805 to 3 or 3.2 with Stockfan ! i mean maybe stockfan doesnt have potencial for overclocking to 3GH !

what is your Idea about Pentium D 805 overclocking ? can i easilly over to 3 or 3.2 ? :?:

milkam

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I would Highly recommend to buy a setup with the Intel system ready for core2 or core 2 quad. p4d805 is a great deal at the price and yes I have overclocked with The stock Fan at 3.5ghz. Had to install speedfan and control manually the cpu fan to 100%. Was doing a lot of noise but was working. (Really too loud)
OCed at 3.2ghz was fine with Auto fan regulation from the Mobo.
Had it installed with a 7600gt then upgraded to 7900gs as I oced too much my 7600gt and burned it.

Take a p4d805 with a good mobo and a 7600gt and you'll be fine for a good time. Then little upgrade later take a zalman 9500 and overclock to 3.5 3.7ghz and you'll still be fine for some time. I watercooled mine and Overclocked to 3.9 very stable. And I score 5600 on 3dmark 2006 with my 7900gs.

Good luck

P.s. You should be able to score around 3300 to 3500 in 3dmark2006 with those setting and this is really not bad when we know p4d805 99$ 7600gt at 130$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130054
and MObo 110$ Asus p5nsli (Don't take a p5n32 or p5nd2 (they dont support core2duo)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131032
SHould give you access to core2duo and SLI if you ever want to add another 7600gt video card to upgrade for cheap.

Mike

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
if you're getting it think about getting the premium version or get a gigabyte 965p-ds3/ds4 theyre good aqnd overclock well.

milkam

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Well the 965p mobo will be good enough. But more expensive. I personally have a p5nd2-sli, Bought for 99$ and I overclocked to the maximum of this mobo possibility.

Still any mobo will do the job. But I was trying to give you the cheapest way to get a good and cheap computer now and be able to upgrade to something better later.

Have a good day everyone.

Mike

shahramcat

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
ok , what about Heat and noise of fan PD 805 when i overclock to 3.3 ?

its to loud or can be rest around it ?

i have 2 final choice :

AMD 3500 am2
Epox 570SLI

INTEL pentium d 805
ASus p5b p65chipset ot giga

for 7 month i want playing game with this system .........

milkam

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
With Qfan Enabled from asus the noise should not be bad at 3.3ghz. Maybe when you'll be gaming the fan will raise a bit to be a but loud.
The advantage here is that you'll be able to upgrade to core 2 duo in the future instead of being stuck with socket 939 that will not be upgradeable with anything.

The more important thing here is that you want to do gaming, The more important piece of hardware you need when you are gaming is a good video card. You could have the best proc, if you have a cheap videocard it will be a pretty bad gaming machine. If you get a bad cpu and a pretty good videocard your gaming will be better.

PLace the more money you can on your videocard and even with the p4d805 youll be fine for a few years

Good luck

testbenchdude

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I've been using the 805 at stock speed (waiting for more stable BIOS for my board) for about 3 months and I love it. I'm really itching to get a Core 2 but I can't justify it when all my games are smooth as glass at high settings. So, 805's are selling for less than $100 now I think, and get a 7900GT or GS and a decent board (965 express chipset so you cna upgrade to dual or quad core later).

Seriously, I bought this in order to overclock the shiat out of it, but the Abit AB9 Pro wasn't up to snuff yet (it is now though, with bios 1.5) so I left it stock (2.66GHz) and have been happy with it just like that. In fact, even though the new bios supposedly rocks, I see no reason why to flash it when everything runs so smoothly.

Just my 2c.