Pentium D 805 Overclocking Help - Is this right!?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I'm currently running a Pentium D 805 at 3.6GHz (FSB 720, 180x20) 1.45v! I have DDR2 533MHz memory which is running at 600MHz FSB! The motherboard is an Asus P5ND2-SLI!

My idle temps are 36oC, i try to run Prime95 and get an error... is this down to the CPU and Memory FSB not being at a 1:1 ratio ?! Is it wise to keep a 1:1 ratio, or can i overclock like i am doing so!? Or do i need to increase the voltage some more?!
Also, what is the max voltage i can run with the 805?!

I know there has prob been loads of posts about the 805 and overclocking, before anyone jumps on and tells me to ditch it any buy somthing else, please don't - 1. I'm a student, 2. I've recently suffered a major car accident and can not work for the next 18 months!

Any help would be appriciated though, idealy i would like to get my 805 to at least 3.8GHz and be stable with Prime95! Hopefully i can make up £80 over the next few weeks and upgrade the memory to some 800MHz FSB (which i have been planning)!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I have just uped the to 1.5v and Prime seems to be going ok... before it was erroring through first test!

I'm at 3.7GHz now too, the temps i'm reading are 52oC on load and 39oC idle!!

I'm a happy person :)

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Well i was happy....

PC restarted itself after the 5th iteration test with Prime95, but the temps on my external probe were still reading 52oC!

Does it look like i need to upgrade the memory and keep both FSB's at 1:1 ?!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I see. This is the first time i have ever overclocked, and have been trying to be very cautious!
So far though i think i have not done too bad, i guess the media and all these hype reviews make me want more (4.1GHz from the 805)!

I think i will hold out at 3.6GHz until i can afford the new memory, and then try go some higher from there!

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Well 3.6 GHZ is a pretty good OC.

I'm sure if you where running DDR2 667 you could do better.

This is the impression i have too, i'm trying to convince my parents to lend me the money today, so i can get some DDR2 800 memory!

As it would be nice to get to 4.1GHz :) And i have sufficent watercooling!

Thanks very much for the help !

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Try dropping your memory speed closer to or below 533 to see if it's the memory that's holding you back. If you insist on running it at 600 MHz, you might need to up its voltage .1v or .2v or loosen the timing to something like 5-5-5-15 for stability.

Also - are you running 2x Prime or just one instance?

To really test stability, choose Torture Test - Custom. The "Blend" option doesn't stress the CPU much in comparison. I have seen some folks claim that their system is cool and stable because it passes the Blend tests. I'll bet that in many cases, the Custom test would reveal a different story.

Good luck, and a speedy recovery.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Try dropping your memory speed closer to or below 533 to see if it's the memory that's holding you back. If you insist on running it at 600 MHz, you might need to up its voltage .1v or .2v or loosen the timing to something like 5-5-5-15 for stability.

Also - are you running 2x Prime or just one instance?

To really test stability, choose Torture Test - Custom. The "Blend" option doesn't stress the CPU much in comparison. I have seen some folks claim that their system is cool and stable because it passes the Blend tests. I'll bet that in many cases, the Custom test would reveal a different story.

Good luck, and a speedy recovery.

The memory timing is set to 5-5-5-15 as default! I'm not set to running the bus at 600MHz so i will give it a shot at 533MHz!

I was running just one instance of Prime, using the Torture Test - i usually use two instances though!

I will have a bit more of a tweak and see how it goes, will keep posting results!

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
It sounds like you're on the right track.

Your memory can probably do better than 5-5-5-15 - the "Auto" setting on your motherboard might be holding it back. Your memory is probably rated for 4-4-4-12 which is pretty common for DDR2 these days. Choosing the "Manual" option in the BIOS will give you access to the timing settings. Tighter timing is often preferable to all-out bandwidth. I have always found that my computers felt more responsive with lower latencies versus higher bandwidth.

3.6 GHz is a nice overclock at any rate. You've gone well beyond the performance of the D 840 for a fraction of the price.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
It sounds like you're on the right track.

Your memory can probably do better than 5-5-5-15 - the "Auto" setting on your motherboard might be holding it back. Your memory is probably rated for 4-4-4-12 which is pretty common for DDR2 these days. Choosing the "Manual" option in the BIOS will give you access to the timing settings. Tighter timing is often preferable to all-out bandwidth. I have always found that my computers felt more responsive with lower latencies versus higher bandwidth.

3.6 GHz is a nice overclock at any rate. You've gone well beyond the performance of the D 840 for a fraction of the price.

Ahh i will have to again play with the memory settings, although the current memory is very cheap unbranded stuff.. so i'm a little jubious of wether to play with it too much!

I have though, just ran one Prime95 Custom Torture Test for well over an hour and have had no problems at all! And that was running 3.7GHz | 1.5v | 52oC !

So i'm pretty pleased, i will have a few more tweaks though... might be able to get it stable at 3.8GHz :)

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Just to add :

I upgraded and changed my case on Tuesday! I'm now using an Antec Super Lanboy!

The motherboard temp in my old case, which had very little fans was around 42oC! Now with the Antec and two 120mm fans, one intake and one outtake - i am getting no more than 33oC!

I was planning on adding a chipset waterblock to the watercooling loop, but now i don't think i need to! Also before installing the new PSU and Case i could not get stable over 3.3GHz... do you think this was down to the temp of the chipset on the old set up!?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
The memory is now at 533MHz 4-4-4-12!

I tried to clock the 805 to 3.8GHz 1.5v ... the computer boots and starts to load windows, msn messenger starts to load and it just restarts itself!

Any other ideas to how i can go a bit higher!? Do i need to increase the voltage some more?! Is my memory holding me back!? Is this the max my motherboard will handle!?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice! :)

The memory is now at 533MHz 4-4-4-12!

I tried to clock the 805 to 3.8GHz 1.5v ... the computer boots and starts to load windows, msn messenger starts to load and it just restarts itself!

Any other ideas to how i can go a bit higher!? Do i need to increase the voltage some more?! Is my memory holding me back!? Is this the max my motherboard will handle!?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice! :)

PCI bus frequency should be bumped from 100 to 110 then 120 if stable. Clock frequency should be locked at 33 1/3.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Ok! I've managed to make it boot at 3.8GHz! I took the PCI bus up to 110! Alos i upped the voltage to 1.53v!!

Now to run some tests and see how stable it is! Noticed a few degrees hotter at idle - am about 39oC idle now!

Ok! I've managed to make it boot at 3.8GHz! I took the PCI bus up to 110! Alos i upped the voltage to 1.53v!!

Now to run some tests and see how stable it is! Noticed a few degrees hotter at idle - am about 39oC idle now!

You should get stability up to around 118 or 117. I could not overclock my Pentium D 805 Smithfield more than 10% without making those two adjustments. I have mine at 3.6, a 1 ghz. OC, with default voltages. ASUS micro 945G chipset.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Ran Prime Torture Test and it crashed about 10 mins through, PC just restarted itself!

So back to upping the PCI Bus a bit more then i guess?!

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I just bought the pentium D 805 and I am using the same motherboard

Like you I have ddr2-533 ram 4-4-4-12 and I can't seem to go higher than 3.7ghz on the OC. Now I tried leaving the ram at 533 with default settings and it looks stable for now. I left home with Norton, adAware doing scans and I also left a game running by itself. ( can't really get more stresffull then that on a normal environment) I'll see tonight if it rebooted or not.

I was planning on getting 667 ram but with the recent boost in ram price I just can't afford it.

I also have 2x 120mm fan and the big water from thermaltake. My temp looks really close to what you are getting.

If you find that the 667 ram does make a difference , please let me know. I'm really happy with 3.7ghz but I do think I can go higher.

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I just bought the pentium D 805 and I am using the same motherboard

Like you I have ddr2-533 ram 4-4-4-12 and I can't seem to go higher than 3.7ghz on the OC. Now I tried leaving the ram at 533 with default settings and it looks stable for now. I left home with Norton, adAware doing scans and I also left a game running by itself. ( can't really get more stresffull then that on a normal environment) I'll see tonight if it rebooted or not.

I was planning on getting 667 ram but with the recent boost in ram price I just can't afford it.

I also have 2x 120mm fan and the big water from thermaltake. My temp looks really close to what you are getting.

If you find that the 667 ram does make a difference , please let me know. I'm really happy with 3.7ghz but I do think I can go higher.

I'm acctually going to get the 800MHz memory(when i can afford to) as i heard this would be better, although the board dosn't support it - it will run at 667MHz but be more stable for overclocking!

I upped the PCIE Bus to 120 and had a boot fail! I'm now running 115 and just about to play on BF2 to see if i have any errors!

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
yeah see i got a ASUS P5WDG2-WS and its a champ! lol i cant quite seem to get the stable 4.0 but im VERY STABLE @ 3.6 and RAM @ 720 4-4-4-12 OCZ GOLD 5-5-5-12 btw ;)

yeah man it looks likeyour ram is crapping out on you! you need to get some of this OCZ its not the fastest but is one of the cheapest for midrange and of course it runs great!

dont feel bad if you cant get it past 3.7ish cause about there i start gettin vcore errors it just cant get the power it needs, of course im not on the best circuit in the house lol but i find that what is the point for higher than 3.6 really?

if you got any other probs, pm meh i can help you get the best outta your RAM! atleast until you get the new stuff ;)

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
I don't think you have mem issues (even though it is possible) with a divider prime should be fine, I think its voltage issue, If you have cpu z or something like it monitor the cpu voltage at idle and under full load maybe you have voltage droop issues 1.5 volts should be good for over 4.0ghz.

If you research the thread in reply to toms 4.1ghz article there is allot of information about mem speed and over clocking. I know is like 30 pages long (my guess is around page 10)
I have successfully over clocked with 533,667,800 not to big of a difference.
Currently on my D805 I am using 667mhz

at 4.3 ghz 1.55v (actual) my pci is at 110mhz clock @ 33 I also upped the chipset voltage.

qw3r7yju4n

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Ran Prime Torture Test and it crashed about 10 mins through, PC just restarted itself!

So back to upping the PCI Bus a bit more then i guess?!

you need to mess with your timings, especially if your oc past spec, ifyou want stability at that clock speed LOOSIN RAM TIMINGS! just a thought ;)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
At 3.6Ghz, I'd say thats a job well done. If you want to oc more then you would also need DDR2667 and cooling. I think the maximum safe operating voltage of the pentium d are 1.55v.

pswenne

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
thats 1 thing I haven't touch yet myself. I left the default Voltage and still I didn't have any problem. Now I don't know yet if my comp rebooted since I left it running all day and i'm at work. If it did ( which I wouldn't doubt) I'll try upping the voltage to 1.5 and see if it stay stable.

Can someone tell me where to get prime95 to test the cpu?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Well i've tried everything and i can't get it stable past 3.7GHz!

I guess i have reached the max i can go with my current memory (hope i can go higher with new memory)!

But i should be happy really...

Memory is 533MHz 4-4-4-12. D805 3.7GHz 1.53v - 39oC Idle and 51oC Load!

...it's just natural to want more :)