Pentium D & DRM???

In case you didn't already know, the new Pentium D chips are coming
with built in hardware support non optionalable DRM support.
http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
Alright, so I'm trying to gather all the information possible on what
this will mean to the average joe home user trying to rip or burn
copyrighted materials. Hopefully there will be some type of BIOS
update out there that will allow it to be turned off. So DRM is
enabled by default in the chip itself, what will that allow/disallow
you to do/not do??

I guess it depends on what kind of "typical use" you are using as a
benchmark.

For working with existing non-DRM formats like MP3 it's a total
non-issue. You'd be able to do everything you do right now with
existing apps, which are not going to just magically stop working.
Ditto for things like ripping regular WAV's off your existing CD
collection, or archiving shows from a ReplayTV onto DVDs, or turning
home movies into DVD's or subscribing to services like iTunes.

For DRM'd content you'd presumably have trouble circumventing the
protections. But I'm assuming that any applications designed to take
advantage of the new hardware specific capabilities wouldn't run on a
different CPU anyway.

So stick with non-DRM'd content and it won't matter one way or another.

Intel is saying that the DRM inside P-D is something for implementing
DTCP-IP, a method for preventing DRM'ed content from being transmitted
over anything but a local home network -- but not over the Internet.

fears over processors with DRM
http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/64164

Here's the info about DTCP-IP:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/02/24/HNbarrettdrm_1.html

Yousuf Khan

"Several things of note: the DRM can be
disabled"
Two questions come up with this... 1) Is this really true at all and
2) It is my understanding that the 945P chipset employs DRM as well
as the chip iteself, by disabling it does it disable the chipset too?
And when I said typical use I mean anything and everything from legal
to illegal. Anything that any person who spends their money on should
be able to do whatever they wish with it. So I guess I can re-word
that and say what will DRM prevent the average person from doing
right out of the box? And will everything in the future from
software, movies and music become DRM'd so-to-speak?

On 2 Jun 2005 10:31:32 -0400,
ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (ringfinger) wrote:

>In case you didn't already know, the new Pentium D chips are coming
>with built in hardware support non optionalable DRM support.
>http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>Alright, so I'm trying to gather all the information possible on what
>this will mean to the average joe home user trying to rip or burn
>copyrighted materials. Hopefully there will be some type of BIOS
>update out there that will allow it to be turned off. So DRM is
>enabled by default in the chip itself, what will that allow/disallow
>you to do/not do??

As usual, the media missed the boat on this one. There is absolutely
*NO* DRM in the Pentium D processor. The AMT management tools are
entirely in the chipset, or more to the point, the ICH7 I/O hub. You
can find a brief description of it on page 220 and 221 of Intel's
datasheets for this I/O hub:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/30701301.pdf

You can also find a much more detailed description on Intel's main AMT
page:

http://www.intel.com/technology/manage/iamt/

As Yousuf mentioned, this appears to be an implementation of DTCP-IP.
You can read up on that here:

http://www.dtcp.com/

Ohh.. and yes, this can be disabled through the BIOS. The goal for
Intel and others here is that they hope customers will WANT to enable
it such that they can download copy-protected content. The incentive
is to be that content providers will refuse to allow download of their
music/movies unless you're PC is DTCP-IP enabled. Obviously this is
looking a few years down the road when such a setup is ubiquitous, so
for the immediately future there is no real affect one way or the
other.

It also remains to be seen whether or not DTCP-IP content will be a
viable market for content providers. This is something that current
DRM methods have struggled with, people just don't want to pay for
really restrictive copy protection, especially when other alternatives
exist.

-------------
Tony Hill

How are you so sure the media mised the boat on DRM? And also,
you're saying that only DTCP-IP is implemented into the chipset and
not the CPU? And how do we know that is protected from attack? I
would love the power of the P-D, but don't really want to pay to get
attacked remotly and have my HD reformatted....

I was replying to Tony's comment about the media missing the "boat" on
this, how is he so sure it's not true when it's all over the place??

ringfinger wrote:
> I was replying to Tony's comment about the media missing the "boat" on
> this, how is he so sure it's not true when it's all over the place??

Hmm, you seem to reply to the original message in the thread all of the
time, instead of the actual message that you were replying to. Since our
newsreaders can organize the messages into hierarchal threads, it makes
it confusing for us to figure out which message that you're actually
replying too.

Yousuf Khan

I was replying to the post by Tony made a copuple posts up.... whats
so confusing about that? Just b/c someone posts between the post I'm
replying to and my reply doesn't mean I have to reply to them... It's
a board.... Just read up a little bit and you'll understand what I'm
talking about. I'm just curious about weather or not it is infact
true about the DRM.

ringfinger wrote:

> How are you so sure the media mised the boat on DRM? And also,
> you're saying that only DTCP-IP is implemented into the chipset and
> not the CPU? And how do we know that is protected from attack? I
> would love the power of the P-D, but don't really want to pay to get
> attacked remotly and have my HD reformatted....

Where's the context?
Who are you talking to?
Where is the References: header?

ringfinger wrote:
> I was replying to the post by Tony made a copuple posts up.... whats
> so confusing about that? Just b/c someone posts between the post I'm
> replying to and my reply doesn't mean I have to reply to them... It's
> a board.... Just read up a little bit and you'll understand what I'm
> talking about. I'm just curious about weather or not it is infact
> true about the DRM.

Are you typing this from some sort of a web interface of some kind, or
what kind of newsreader? These Usenet forums keep linking information
within them, so that you can associate which messages that you're
replying to, without even requiring you to quote the message that you're
replying to. Since you're not using either quoting, and it looks like
your newsreader isn't preserving linkage information (or alternatively,
you're not aware of the proper procedure for replying to replies);
therefore, your messages' context get lost.

Yousuf Khan

No, actually I'm not sittin on my couch with web tv @$$hole. How hard
is it to get a simple question answered w/o being criticized on my
forum knowledge. Excuss the hell out of me.

I'm using IE and Maxthon... I see the quote button, it doesn't
automatically quote for me. Sorry for the attitude earlier, I'm just
not the biggest nerd on the block when it comes to forums and was just
trying to get a definitive answer.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

ringfinger <ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
: I was replying to the post by Tony made a copuple posts up.... whats
: so confusing about that? Just b/c someone posts between the post
: I'm replying to and my reply doesn't mean I have to reply to
: them... It's a board.... Just read up a little bit and you'll
: understand what I'm talking about. I'm just curious about weather
: or not it is infact true about the DRM.

Sorry but um, are you really as clueless as to how to interact in Usenet
as you appear? Let me guess. You're sitting on a sofa using your Tv set
as a monitor with some wireless keyboard and WebTv-like arrangement,
right? Better get a clue real fast there, lamer. LOL!

j.

ringfinger wrote:
> I'm using IE and Maxthon... I see the quote button, it doesn't
> automatically quote for me. Sorry for the attitude earlier, I'm just
> not the biggest nerd on the block when it comes to forums and was just
> trying to get a definitive answer.

Ignore the insults, some people just shoot first and ask questions later.

You can use Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird for your newsreading.
These can sort your messages into the threads that we see.

Another alternative is to use Google Groups, and you can read and post
from there too.

Yousuf Khan

On 3 Jun 2005 12:32:14 -0400,
ringfinger2763@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (ringfinger) wrote:

>I was replying to Tony's comment about the media missing the "boat" on
>this, how is he so sure it's not true when it's all over the place??

Because I know how to read the technical datasheets, which is
something that those posting this story "all over the place" seem to
have missed. Ohh, and it's really just one short article that's being
reposted a thousand times with obviously no effort to verify it's
accuracy, I wouldn't really call that "all over the place".

ps. you might want to find yourself a proper newsreader, the version
of 'newsSync' that you are using doesn't seem to be threading messages
properly making. In fact, best as I can tell, 'newsSync' isn't a
newsreader at all but rather some sort of web-to-usenet frontend. If
you are posting from some website, you should be aware that the rest
of these posts are NOT coming from that website but rather the wider
Usenet network.

Tony Hill