PENTIUM D question why isnt there hyperthreading

tomjgum1

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
i recently bought a pentium D CPU 3.40GHz and it says 2 core 2 threads (according to cpuz) but task manager only shows 2 cores i was wondering if its supposed to be dual or a quad core like

When we released the Intel® Pentium® D processors it was throught that they wouldn't need hyper-threading because they would have a second core. Before long we would release the Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 965 that would would have hyper-threading on both cores (this was the fastest of our Intel Pentium D processors at 3.73GHz). One of only three Intel Pentium D processors that would have hyper-threading. The other two are the Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 955 and Intel Pentium Processor Extreme Edition 840 that both had hyper-threading.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthuiast Team

The Intel® Pentium® 4 3.06GHz 533 FSB was the first of the Intel Pentium 4's to have hyper-threading. Then most of the Intel Pentium 4 processors that had a 800MHz FSB would also have hyper-threading. Then the Intel Pentium Ds that I listed above. We would stop using hyper-threading during the Intel Core™ 2 Duo and Intel Core 2 Quad day but we would released it in the 1st generation Intel Core processors like the Intel Core i7-920.

Christain Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

tomjgum1

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
so why then would i need 2 threads, my last Pentium D said only one thread?

also would any extreme edition processors work with my mobo i have the dell xps 400 Desktop W/ the 0YC523 model board

The Intel® Pentium® D was a dual core only processor. There were a couple Intel Pentium D that had hyper-threading (that I brought up above) and they would show a total of 4 threads. If a Intel Pentium D were showing only one core it would have to be due to a problem with the bios or OS not seeing the processor's core correctly.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team