Pentium D Vs AMD Athlon 64 X2

Is there a choice for none of the above? Both of these processor are very old (maybe 7 years) and you really should be looking at moving up to something a little more modern.

Heck you can pick up the Intel® Celeron® G530 for $50 at Newegg.com and it will outperform both of these processors. You can match that up with a H61 board and be well on your way to building a good system.

The Athlon 64 X2 3800+ is a little faster and runs quite a bit cooler than the Pentium D 925. However they are both 7-year-old chips and roughly as fast as an ultra low volt tablet processor with Turbo turned off.

IntelSalesman is right in the fact that neither are a very good choice for a modern system. However neither is a heavily crippled Celeron. The Sandy Bridge Celerons aren't as crippled as some older Celerons were (the cacheless Covington, pretty much any P4 Celeron, SpeedStep-less Celeron Ms, and the overly neutered Core 2 Celerons) but still have way too many of the go-fast bits turned off to be a decent buy. I would recommend something like the $67 AMD A6-5400K as an entry level CPU as you at least get the go-fast bits like Turbo Core and a integrated GPU that isn't completely awful. I'd then even lobby pretty heavily for the AMD A10-5800K for $122 which is much better than the Celeron/Pentium and dual-core AMD APUs. I wouldn't recommend any Intel CPUs for general usage unless you are willing to spend over $250 and get an i5-3570K or better. AMD pretty well owns the budget and midrange segment.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hey guys,sorry i did not ask before,but do you guys know which one of these use the most power/electricity? and by hows do you think? a lot or not much?

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
The Pentium D, I would assume. It is literally two Pentium 4s in one chip.

Can't say by how much, never had an AMD system (In actuality, my current one is my first AMD system.) back then, so can't tell ya.

02hudsond

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I HAVE HAD A PENTIUM D 930 3GHZ AND AT THE MIN AM USING AMD ATHLON X2 5000 BLACK EDITIION AND LET ME TELL U THESE ATHLONS ARE STI;LL NIPPY ... PENTIUM D ARE AWFULLL THEY SO SLOW COMPARED TO ANY OTHER CPU EXCEPT PENT 4 AND UNDER

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Early Pentium D's are terrible chips.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think if the GPU isn't helping, they have trouble with 1080P or even reading DVD's !

To my experience, anything that is Pentium4 class, including P4 Xeon chips is unable to run a PBX as a virtual image. All voice recordings will be choppy.
I installed ESXi4 on a 1u dell server running 2x Pentium Xeon CPU's... and something about these netburst chips is just terrible...

(PBX works fine when installed straight on the machine.)

Might be going out of topic but my point is an Athlon X2 even on a 939pin socket as a 3800... Still destroys a Pentium D
In Everything especially multimedia and visualization.

InvalidError

Titan

You are correct. The Pentium-D is two independent Pentium-4 dies stuck on the same LGA substrate under the same IHS.

Some Pentium-D were two individually cut dies potentially from different wafers while other models were two sequential dies cut out of the same wafer together. In both cases, intercommunication between the two dies and the chipset was done over the FSB so there is no functional difference between the two types.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

The Pentium D uses FAR MORE electricity than the Athlon 64 X2.

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Thanks so much everyone. I had a Pentium D and motherboard,and an AMD processor.I want to make a little computer for my friend out of some parts i had laying around.Just for general use with windows 7 OS.I got spare ram,harddrive etc. So i was checking to see which one was faster and which one took the most electricity.So i'll most probs buy a cheap second hand motherboard for the AMD. Just thought i try build the most efficient one,so in the long term,maybe it could cut a lil bit off the electricity bill compared to the pentium D.

Big thanks again everyone.You've been a great help,i really appreciate it guys.