Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
I am in a situation where I accidentally bought an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Processor, the problem with me buying that was it is not capable of running with my motherboard. I am positive that I can resell the processor on ebay or something at little or no loss. The thing is my motherboard was given to me for free from a friend and the only processor worth running on it would be a pentium D. I am rather reluctant to let go of the board though do to the fact that it has VERY nice overclocking capabilities. I was thinking I would get a Pentium D 940 once I sell the E7200. The specs seem to be better except for the fsb which is somewhere around 200mhz lower. the board I have is a ASUS p5wd2 premuim. If anyone could lend me any help at all I would be very appreciative.

-Thanks

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
The difference in performance between the D 940 and the E7200 is earth shattering. I understand you dont want to ditch the board, but you will shoot yourself If you saw some benchmarks comparing the 2 procs after you got rid of the E7200 :D.

You can pick up a P43 for under $100, or even a P35 if PCIe2.0 isnt important. Once again I understand your motherboard situation, but i highly recomend holding onto the E7200.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Uh...you can overclock that Pentium D to 5GHz, and still not perform as well as the E7200.
I would get a decent P35 board, some DDR2 800 (1-2GB) memory, and build a system using the E7200.

Unless price prohibits you from using the E7200, I would seriously consider using that CPU over any Pentium D, in a heart beat. The E7200 is a much better CPU than the Pentium D can ever be. Overclocked or not, the Pentium D will never match or exceed the E7200 in performance.

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
OK, well.. looks like I am going to have to drop the board then.. haha.
can anyone recommend a new one? I am only 15 and unemployed.. lol so I have to stay on the cheap side of things.

-thanks for the help : ]

G

well whats the motherboard?

a lot of mobos were actually able to run the new line of core 2s with a simple bios update

look into that route before you make any definite decisions

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Its an ASUS P5WD2, Intel 955x chipset. It dosent support them, ive been searching for him for the past 15 minutes. ASUS site dosent even list Conroe's as supported, and the last BIOS update for the board was september 9th 2006.

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
OK, so I did a bit more searching and found exactly what you had just explained.. Core 2 Duo Blows Pentium D out of the water. BUT! all the processors compared were in generally the same clock speed range (only differed by .2-.3 ghz) in my situation the E7200 is running at 2.4 I believe and the pentium D would be at 3.2

Dont know if that makes a difference or anything, just throwin it out there

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Like NMDante said, even with the D 940 @ 5ghz the E7200 would rape it at stock speeds, several times. Also check up on what roadrunner susgested. There are plenty of good boards out there in the $50-$75 range.

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
yeah I am checking that out right now. Thanks a TON guys I really appreciate the help. If anyone wants to go the extra mile and help me find a board, that would be great! haha

You might be able to sell the old motherboard and Pentium D chip for enough to pick up a cheap motherboard that will support the E7200.

Edit: Sorry I stepped away before submitting my reply and missed a whole bunch of the previous posts. One of those ~$55 would work fine.

Yeah........... generally you should research the board before you run off and buy a CPU for it. Anyway the Pentium D 960 runs really hot, I mean an aftermarket cooler capable of cooling it properly will probably be worth more than the CPU itself :). Really though if you got a liquid nitro cooler and managed to hit 5GHz you might get performance similar to an E7200 on a P35 board at stock speeds. Needless to say I don't think it's worth it :D. Since you want to hold on to that motherboard here is what I suggest you do.

1) Get a Pentium D, preferably on eBay, and use that for now.

2) Save up money for an X48 board. When the X58 boards come out, which will be pretty soon now, they'll push the X48 boards out of the higher end Intel market thus driving down their prices. I don't expect P45 boards to drop much until Intel Releases the mainstream parts for their new CPUs.

3) When you get that X48 board use the E7200 to build your new computer, and use the old parts for a spare one.

Good luck whatever you do there.

Wiiings12

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2008
? stalker? anyway.. lol I put that on there in case it was something weird like an age limit.. idk..

I am looking for a board with some decent overclocking abilities. in case anyone is still searching for me.. I know nothing about motherboards :' [

(I am dropping the board and getting a new one for the E7200..just in case you scrolled past that)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Get a new board, really. A Pentium D is not worth it -- unless you want to say you've overclocked an 805 Smithfield to 4 gigahertz while advancing the warming of the world by a couple of degrees

Heck, you have the Core 2. If you didn't have anything but the board, I'd recommend a cheap Athlon X2 and a 780G board. That would blow the Pentium D out of the water, and the little Intel IGP too.