Pentium G2030 vs Core i3 3220 Gaming

Jun 13, 2018
Basically i've been suffering from bottlenecks with my g2030 + rx 560 & i don't have enough money to buy a new motherboard / ryzen 3 cpu , i've been getting terrible performance in games with the g2030 (like here is a quick benchmark in cache map of the game csgo : low settings 1080p no AA Min 16 - Avg 33 - Max 45) so i tought of a slightly low cpu upgrade that would handle my gpu , They both have 2 cores but the i3 has 4 threads instead of 2 & a higher clock speed of 3.30Ghz would that make a big difference in gaming performance ?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the higher clock speed would make a difference but it won't be a massive one since it is only a small mhz increase. the 2 extra threads will only step in if the game you are playing uses more than the 2 cores you have now. but in those games it would also make a big difference.

for a good price, the jump to an i3 would be worth it for sure. if you're looking used see if perhaps you can find a locked i5 for a good price. never know what may pop up so don't rule out an expanded search :)

For gaming you really should upgrade, but I would not invest in an i3 of that age. CSGO responds well to better CPUs although the game isn't that demanding overall.

What I'd do is check the CPU compatibility for your motherboard and see if a Sandy Bridge i5 will work. Some motherboards of that era will work with either Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs. The point being you're better off with a Sandy Bridge i5 than an Ivy Bridge i3.