Pentium G3258 for a heavy gaming build?

thelostcarrot

Reputable
Jul 31, 2014
I have seen some recent numbers and hype on the G3258 20th anniversary edition. I am trying to piece together a future build, and I was wondering if it could handle a high 1080 frame rate gaming build (120hz+) or possibly a 60hz 1440p set-up. I would think about pairing this with a r9 290 or 780. With a custom watercool the G3258 should be able to get 4.5+ghz would that be enough not to bottleneck the GPU?

Solution
The pentium is a dual-core, so it will perform well with games that "dont use more than 2 cores" otherwise it will be a bottleneck for sure.
That pentium can achive stable 4.5Ghz on air, using a expensive water cooling system would be senseless to use on a cheap processor.

6R1M01R3

Distinguished
The pentium is a dual-core, so it will perform well with games that "dont use more than 2 cores" otherwise it will be a bottleneck for sure.
That pentium can achive stable 4.5Ghz on air, using a expensive water cooling system would be senseless to use on a cheap processor.

Solution

Alex Kelly

Honorable
You may as well use an i5 at least if you're going to be using other high end components.
It makes no sense to use a budget CPU in an otherwise expensive system just because it might be able to handle it when overclocked. It's a DUAL CORE CPU, lets be realistic here. Most games take advantage of at least 4 cores. :p