Pentium G3258 no longer able to overclock?

scshtx

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
My pentium g3258 apparently is no longer able to overclock using the asrock bios. I'm not sure when this started happening as I just check cpu-z today and saw it was at 3.2ghz, but the bios had it set to 3.8ghz. I tried switching it to a higher setting with the same result. Not really sure what to do from here. Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
Check your Windows 10 power settings and make sure an update didn't trigger your CPU power setting to Power Saver mode over Performance mode. That happened to me on my Win10 laptop a few months ago. This is assuming you have not manually updated your motherboard's BIOS and something changed there. Not sure what could possibly have locked you out of changing BIOS overclock settings though as that should override anything Windows does.

scshtx

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

The G3258 isn't a locked CPU though. Haven't been gaming on my pc much in the past few months because of school, so I haven't really noticed anything different.

Check your Windows 10 power settings and make sure an update didn't trigger your CPU power setting to Power Saver mode over Performance mode. That happened to me on my Win10 laptop a few months ago. This is assuming you have not manually updated your motherboard's BIOS and something changed there. Not sure what could possibly have locked you out of changing BIOS overclock settings though as that should override anything Windows does.

Solution

scshtx

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017

Can't thank you enough. Thought this was gonna be some long stressful ordeal but you were right. Idk about an update or anything but I checked the CPU power settings and minimum was at 100% while max was at 99%. Moving the max up to 100% did the trick! Thank you!