[SOLVED] Pentium G4400 won't pass 20 watt on prime 95

lfbb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hi,

That's it, my G4400 won't pass 20 watt consumption on Prime95. The PSU is a bit lousy but I don't think it can't handle 54 watt. Any idea?

prime.png

Motherboard is MSI H110M Pro-VD (MS-7996).

EDIT: I use the integrated graphics in the CPU.

Last edited:
Solution
could be it's actually a G4400T - the 54W TDP is misleading, the 2-thread Pentiums never used that much juice except maybe the G3258 unlocked multiplier
1. TDP is the thermal bracket not the power draw.
Usually intel bunches up every class (pentium/i3/i5/i7) of CPUs into one bracket an slaps the same TDP (and the same cooler) on them, usually that of the highest CPU in that class.
2. TDP includes the whole CPU which means the igpu as well, running furmark at the same time as prime will get you closer to the mark.
Based on those temps (max 41C?), I'd say you are likely not exceeding but ~800 MHz in clock speed...(I've seen this occur when WIndows is installed w/default MS drivers, vice getting specific chipset drivers from mainboard manufacturer.

Install all chipset drivers from MSI, and WIndows updates, then check HWMonitor to see what actual clock speeds are being sustained...(G4400 should be near 3200-3300 MHz)

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/H110M-PRO-VD#down-driver&Win10 32

could be it's actually a G4400T - the 54W TDP is misleading, the 2-thread Pentiums never used that much juice except maybe the G3258 unlocked multiplier
Usually intel bunches up every class (pentium/i3/i5/i7) of CPUs into one bracket an slaps the same TDP (and the same cooler) on them, usually that of the highest CPU in that class.
2. TDP includes the whole CPU which means the igpu as well, running furmark at the same time as prime will get you closer to the mark.

Solution
Could we run Prime95 with HWmonitor open, and see what clock speeds are sustained during one of the 19.x watt reporting periods? (The CoreTemp max temp reported of only 41C is certainly suspect at pretty much any clock speed above 800 MHz...)

Last edited:
think you meant to reply to the other poster ;)

lfbb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
I've made a bench with Geekbench and the results are quite similar to other G4400's:

geekbench.png

geekbench2.png

Strange, isn't it? Or Geekbench doesn't pull too much power? (<20 watt)

lfbb

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2013
Hi again,

I've tried a bench with an older version of CPU-Z (v1.78, November 21, 2016) and it gives me an approximate result of the graphic above:

cpuz178.png

The graphic from the benchmark is from April 12, 2016, therefore it makes sense to use a CPU-Z version from that time. However it just pulls a max of 15.56 watts, is this normal on CPU-Z?