Pentium G4560 or i3 6100?

kgrevemberg

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I was planning on doing a cheep-ish budget build for a friend but didn't want to get him a pentium for some games needing 4 cores to even boot. So i figured the hyper threaded i3 would work since games see it as 4 cores.

But recently I saw the G4560 which is also hyperthreaded and a lot cheaper.

Thinking about going with the pentium. Any advice?

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I've done a little research on these new hyperthreaded Pentiums and it appears that they spec out very similarly to Haswell i3s. Because of this I'd say go for the Pentium since I have a Haswell i3 4160 and when paired with a decent video card, it games well.

amtseung

Distinguished
I'd get the G4560 over a haswell i3, mainly because haswell/refresh stuff is soon, if not already, legacy hardware, DDR3 prices are skyrocketing since people don't make it anymore, and motherboards are slowly going out of existence. Even though the kaby lake motherboards are more expensive, at least you know you can get everything you want/need without too much hassle.

The new stuff is hyperthreaded, whereas the i3 6100 isn't. I'd still say get the new pentium.

amtseung

Distinguished

2nd post mentions Haswell i3's, so I figured I'd mention them also. I know exactly what I'm talking about.

Edit: Clearly I don't know what I'm talking about. Posting half drunk is a bad idea.

RCFProd

Expert
Ambassador

I was quite confused aswell until I read the post and atleast understood that's what you were basicaly referring to. That being said:

The new stuff is hyperthreaded, whereas the i3 6100 isn't. I'd still say get the new pentium.

Wut?