Pentium G5400 or G4560

Nov 7, 2018
Hi,

I need helping choosing my first budget gaming build, I'm looking for an intel build as amd is hard to get in my country and is pricier (actually, prices of both intel and amd are really high). I'm looking at 2 builds:

1. Pentium G5400 with a gtx 1050ti
2. Pentium G4560 with a gtx 1050ti

Which is worth going for as i need to choose between the two before going for a mobo, also is there any noticeable difference in frame rates when gaming with the two builds. I don't mind tuning down my settings to get decent fps. Please do suggest me a whats the better build.

Thanks in advance :)

Solution

You might not want to spend money on an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one, since these lower-powered CPUs shouldn't run hot enough for that to really matter, and a Pentium is not unlocked for overclocking anyway. You would likely be better off putting that money toward other components.

It sounds like there's a pretty big price difference for an RX 570 where you are though. I imagine that the GTX 1060 3GB is also quite a bit...
How large of a price difference are we talking about here compared to a Ryzen 2200G? In a number of newer games, the 2200G's four cores could provide better performance, than those Pentium's two Hyperthreaded cores.

Also, how does the price of an RX 570 compare to a 1050 Ti where you are? Around here, they've been close to the same price lately, making the more powerful RX 570 the better value.

Even when only looking at heavily multithreaded games the pentium is still as fast as the 2200g,making the pentium a no brainer since it will be quite a bit faster at less threaded games.
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i9_9900K/12.html

Nov 7, 2018
The Ryzen 2200G only costs $34 more but the RX 570 is like $113.23 more, so I'm not sure sure if the performance gains justify the $147 increase in price. Also is a 450W PSU enough to power it up?

This is the build i came up with:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8cJMD2
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8cJMD2/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - H310M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($58.51 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Video Card ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.90 @ OutletPC)
Total: $449.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-07 08:10 EST-0500

You might not want to spend money on an aftermarket cooler if you don't already have one, since these lower-powered CPUs shouldn't run hot enough for that to really matter, and a Pentium is not unlocked for overclocking anyway. You would likely be better off putting that money toward other components.

It sounds like there's a pretty big price difference for an RX 570 where you are though. I imagine that the GTX 1060 3GB is also quite a bit more than a 1050 Ti there? The RX 570 and GTX 1060 3GB can both typically push around 50% higher frame rates than a 1050 Ti, provided they aren't limited by CPU performance.

A 450 watt PSU will likely be fine enough for those components, as they only have modest power demands. The only real limitation might be if you upgraded to a more power-hungry graphics card at some point. Some RX 570s require two PCI-Express power cables, for example, while that PSU only has a single 6+2 pin connector. Two 2 x 6+2 pin connectors tend to be more common on 500+ watt models.

The Pentium G5400 won't be "quite a bit faster" at any games, since it is locked to a moderate clock rate. At best, it will be slightly faster than a 2200G at stock clocks in some lightly-threaded titles, where the performance is probably not going to be very limited by the CPU anyway. In some newer games that can be more demanding on the CPU though, it will tend to be slower, especially when its considered that it will be limited to DDR4-2400 speed memory on anything but an expensive Z-series motherboard, while the 2200G can utilize higher memory speeds like DDR4-3000/3200 on a relatively inexpensive B450 board, in addition to having overclocking support on those boards. Most current games will still get along fine enough on a 2-core/4-thread CPU to not limit a 1050 Ti most of the time, but games are becoming more multithreaded, so in many future titles, a true quad-core like the 2200G will almost certainly have some performance advantage.

Of course, price is important, and if the G5400 is significantly less there, it could still be a decent option.

Solution