Question Pentium G5400 versus FX-8350 ?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
These two competitors seem to be the same grade level and market value. Which one would you consider buying for all around purposes? ...pros and cons...

g-unit1111

Titan
Neither, honestly. The FX is horribly dated (also, no upgrade path other than the horrid FX-9590) and the Pentium G has plenty of ways to upgrade, but the LGA 1151 socket is also getting dated. Save your money and get something much better like a Ryzen 2200G. If you have access to a Micro Center you can even get 1st gen Ryzens for around the ~$100 mark.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
You guys made me look cheap, and I am cheap lol.

Well, if that’s you guys honest answers, disregard the benchmarks, how much better performance with the first generation Ryzen compares to these G4900, FX series? Such like...is there a big difference?

Reactions: retroforlife
Buy an amd ryzen 3 1200.
They offer 4 cores, decent clocks, great stock cooler, and great overclocking ability. It has cheap motherboards with overclocking support and no ram speed cap.
You can find them for like 65 bucks and they offer better performance then first gen fx.
FX shouldnt be concidered. They have massive stuttering issues in modern games.
A pentium will game decently, but an overclocked ryzen 3 1200, which cost less, will out perform it.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@jaymes2015 - Yeah, I'd buy neither - very poor bang for the buck. Am I correct in assuming you were looking to replace your FX-6300 with it? If so, the FX-8350 will maybe perform slightly better, probably nothing you'd notice in typical use. On the other hand, the G5400 would require a new motherboard, RAM, etc - so, at that point, you might as well go with a Ryzen.

But then that gets into the question of what your goals and usage needs are for the system, and so on. With that information, along with if you currently have anything you're going to carry over to the new system (say, video card, monitor, keyboard, etc) people on these boards are really good at throwing together a suggested parts list (and PC Part Picker is a godsend in that regard) for a given budget.

Reactions: jaymes2015

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The g5400 is a dual core cpu with hyperthreading to bring possible thread count to 4. Good luck with any modern game like GTA, Witcher, far cry, battlefield, even World of Warcraft or any assassin's creed as they much prefer to run upto 8 threads, high IPC. Low (quad) thread cpus generally run low fps and still push 100% usage.

I'd not advise any quad core/4 thread cpu for anyone other than grandma's websurfer.

Reactions: davew1860

g-unit1111

Titan
You guys made me look cheap, and I am cheap lol.

Well, if that’s you guys honest answers, disregard the benchmarks, how much better performance with the first generation Ryzen compares to these G4900, FX series? Such like...is there a big difference?

It's not about being cheap, it's about spending wisely. The FX series are garbage CPUs, and there's no reason to invest in them when Ryzen exists and you can get much better for less money in the long run. I've seen some stores including Micro Center and Amazon advertising 1st gen Ryzen 5s and 7s for less than $100 including the R5-1600. That would be a much better purchase than a low end Pentium or a way past its' prime FX-8350.

Agree. A 6thread cpu with good 1 thread performance is about the minimum id suggest for a modern gaming rig.
If stuck on a really tight budget, a 4 core cpu can still suffice for a lot of games. Avoid dual cores.

Totally agree, no reason to purchase a dual core in 2019. You can get a quad for $99 and a hex for $110 - $160.

Reactions: Banned by Net

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've had both the Pentium G5400 and (several) FX-8350. In today's multi-threaded games, the old FX-8350 is the better choice. Neither is ideal, and the AM3+ platform is a dead end, but a dual core with HT doesn't fare well on busy servers.
I still have an FX-8350 (4,6GHz) and RX 590. No problem gaming at 1080p/60Hz.

quaackl0l

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
G5400 consumes much lower power than FX-8350. That's no argument. But then that point becomes really bland when looking between cpus specs on paper. FX-8350 is 8 "cores" while G5400 is only 2 cores with HT enabled.

Performance wise G5400 will certainly wipes FX 8350 on single threaded tasks, left out with dusts on multi.

Talking about prices FX-8350 are no longer sold new. On the used market they ranges from $63-74 depending on the seller. G5400 is about the same price brand new (newegg).

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
G5400 consumes much lower power than FX-8350. That's no argument. But then that point becomes really bland when looking between cpus specs on paper. FX-8350 is 8 "cores" while G5400 is only 2 cores with HT enabled.

Performance wise G5400 will certainly wipes FX 8350 on single threaded tasks, left out with dusts on multi.

Talking about prices FX-8350 are no longer sold new. On the used market they ranges from $63-74 depending on the seller. G5400 is about the same price brand new (newegg).

Also too, look at it this way. The FX-8350 was released in October of 2012. The Pentium G5400 was released last year. That's 6 years between the CPU releases (which in PC years is about 60). There have been many, many architecture changes in that time period. And when you consider the upgrade possibilities - the FX only has one, and it's one of the worst CPUs ever made (the FX-9590). If you have a good H370 or H310 motherboard paired with it, you can upgrade all the way to an i7-8700 if you so desire. While neither is ideal, the better long term investment is the Intel all the way.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I still have an FX-8350 (4,6GHz) and RX 590. No problem gaming at 1080p/60Hz.
It may still be reasonably alright, but at this point, the lack of upgrade path and availability of more well-rounded processors for not much more make it a questionable choice for a new system in 2019.

Talking about prices FX-8350 are no longer sold new.
Sure they are...

https://www.newegg.com/amd-fx-8000-...dition/p/N82E16819113415?Item=N82E16819113415

They might not be manufactured anymore, but they are still in stock at some retailers. They're probably best left for those wanting to upgrade an existing FX system though.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It may still be reasonably alright, but at this point, the lack of upgrade path and availability of more well-rounded processors for not much more make it a questionable choice for a new system in 2019.
Oh, I agree 100%. And said so in my post. But the OP was asking for an opinion between only those two processors. And since it appears he already has the AM3+ platform, that would be all the more reason to opt for the FX 8350. Especially now that it comes with the very good Wraith LED cooler for only $70.

Although, I don't know if I would recommend OC'ing on his Asus M5A78L-M Plus/USB3 motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Given only those 2x possible choices, I'd go FX (huh, what? Who said that?) With 8 cores, it's versatility is unmatched vrs the dual core 5400. Granted the 5400 will get better fps in a few games like cs:go or lol, but with the lack of strong single threaded games, you'll be restricted to just those few, or take a major beating. The FX might be slower overall, but with a decent OC can at least handle newer multi-threaded games.
Not the most valid or trusted benchmark, but...
https://technical.city/en/cpu/FX-8350-vs-Pentium-Gold-G5400

It makes my point.

TRENDING THREADS