[SOLVED] Pentium Gold g5400 or Core i3 6100?

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
I basically just bought a whole new computer because my last one was very unstable. it had a GTX 950 with 1 gb VRAM, and a Core i3 6100 in it. it ran well but had tons of fps drops and lag spikes so i basically ordered a whole new computer. this time a GTX 1050 2 GB VRAM and it has a pentium gold g5400 dual core. im kind of confused and annoyed how they basically run the exact same. like the 1050 seems to not improve the FPS in any game i play its like the 2 computers have the same framerate. and some games seem to have alot more freezes with the PC with the Pentium Gold in it. im not very wise when it comes to mixing parts but do you think adding the core i3 with the GTX 1050 would help my FPS considering its quad core?

Sorry for the mixed up paragraph. and also basically every game on "CANIRUNIT" says i cant run any games with minimum or recommended settings haha. but once again the whole reason i bought a new PC is because the PC with the Core i3 is super unstable so i cant really tell what is making it run so poorly.

Solution
Yep. Don't forget the mobo drivers. They include the chipset specific drivers for audio, Lan Sata etc. Windows has generic versions that often have newer version/timestamps so will try to use them first which makes things get nuts when components are looking for 1 driver and not getting it.eads to instability, crashes, freezes etc especially in games.
The i3-6100 is roughly the same as the Pentium G5400; likewise, the GTX 950 is roughly the same as the GTX 1050. You gained nothing except upgrade potential with 8th and 9th-gen Intel CPUs such as quad-core i3, six-core i5 and i7, and eight-core i7 an i9.

The i3-8100 could help with gaming performance. However, this may not fix your "freezes" issue. That is likely something else entirely. Did you perform a clean install of Windows when you switched hardware?

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016

Have not yet switched any parts around. What would be an appropriate CPU upgrade that could go with The GTX 1050? because yeah, my CPU does not meet the requirements for any games at all from what i can tell.

You may be underestimating your CPU just a little; it's on par with a 2nd-gen i5 (eg. i5-2400) and faster than some of the low powered 3rd-gen i5 (eg. i5-3330S).

Your CPU exceeds the minimum requirements for games like Fortnite and Overwatch, CoD: WWII and even BO4. But like I said, the i3-8100 can help improve gaming performance in CPU intensive games especially when playing online with a lot of other players.

You still have not figured out why your PC is freezing. Please list all system specs including power supply.

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016

Yeah, Fortnite gets a little jittery with the 1050 PC and i am planning on downloading sea of thieves tonight, but i'm a little scared because i really do not want to get spikes especially considering its a new PC.

Here are the specs of BOTH PC's
PC 1:
MSI b250m gaming pro motherboard
GTX 950 1GB VRAM
8GB RAM (single)
EVGA 500 watt power supply
Core i3 6100 (3.70 GHz)
Windows 10

PC 2:
MSI H310M PRO-VD motherboard
GTX 1050 2GB VRAM
8GB RAM (2 sticks of 4)
EVGA 500 watt power supply
Intel Pentium Gold g5400 (3.70 GHz)
Windows 10

Basically the first PC stutters with anything other then older type games. And The second PC is brand new, CSGO runs great, Fortnite has stutters mildly but sometimes often. and i am currently downloading Sea of thieves On the second PC, So who knows how that will run. If you need anymore information i can provide it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu sets fps limits, not the gpu. The gpu just has to live up to the limit set by the cpu. You could put a RTX2080ti with either of those cpus, and it wouldn't increase the fps at all, in any game.

The cpu decodes, organizes, optimizes, controls and works the game code, then ships it to the gpu to put up on screen. If the cpu is limited to 60fps by the game code complexity, the best the gpu can throw up is 60fps. If resolution and detail settings are too high for the gpus output, you get less than 60fps, but even low resolution and low detail settings won't make the cpu deliver more than it can.

In single thread performance, the g5400 is @3% faster throughput. So at 100fps, thats just 3fps extra, might as well be the same cpu.

Gaming, the 1050 is stronger, averaging @5 solid fps lead across many games, but since the cpus are equitable, 5 fps will not be noticed except in a benchmark. All in all, pretty equitable gpus.

For all intents and purposes you bought a newer version of the old pc, not an upgrade performance version.

Most instability is directly related to 2 things. Overclocking and drivers. With Windows10CE, drivers are especially suspect, more often due to 64bit and 16bit conflicts. I'd suggest bios update to newest version and any motherboard drivers msi has.

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016

So update BIOS, got it. i think i should upgrade CPU then later on GPU. That's tough though i did just waste money on this PC but atleast its newer and upgrade friendly. i had an idea it was the CPU setting limits from just the way my FPS was basically the same on each computer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yep. Don't forget the mobo drivers. They include the chipset specific drivers for audio, Lan Sata etc. Windows has generic versions that often have newer version/timestamps so will try to use them first which makes things get nuts when components are looking for 1 driver and not getting it.eads to instability, crashes, freezes etc especially in games.

Solution