Pentium II is alive and kicking! :)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

Thanks!

But isn't ND-8 a little too high (53mm)? At the same site, I found this baby:

<A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/171.htm?117" target="_new">http://www.nexfan.com/29/171.htm?117</A>

All copper, and just 25mm high. There are also two more low profile coolers at nexfan.com. Some food for thought... :)

Leo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not too bad for the heatsink being only 15mm thick (plus 10 for the fan). I have never used such a small heatsink, but it might work. The heatsink of the ND-8 is only 13mm thicker (the fan is 15mm thicker!). You can try it, I have seen OEM's use that little $1.75 pentium cooler on the Celeron before, but it didn't work so well. The choice of course it yours, but I don't think the ND-8 is much thicker than a stock Pentium II passive heatsink. You could always measure to check. Your copper choice would probably work, but I would go for something with at least a bigger fan as a matter of personal preference.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Before you go and try using a 533 Celeron in there you have to make sure your motherboard can even support that high a multiplier. Using that means you'll need atleast an 8.0 multiplier on your motherboard, which may or may not be the cage considering how old it is and how it was only designed for up to 350 mHz processors. Like I said before, my old motherboard has an 8.0 multiplier, but only because it is newer and is designed for faster (than yours) chips, which is still only 533 mHz, not far from its 450 "max." But, I do guess you can always just return the chips if they don't work for ya.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

You're right. The heighest multiplier that the mobo supports is 5, which means I'm stuck at 333 MHz maximum. Still, even downclocked like that, and even with the added cost of slotkets, the Celerons would be cheaper than Pentium II 333's. The heatsinks with fans run about the same price.

Hmm, but is it really worth the trouble? :)

Leo

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're right, it probably isn't worth the trouble. So, how much were you planning on spending for the 2 chips, slotkets, and HSFs? It looks like you'd be spending about $100 for the 2 chips and another $20 for the slotkets and HSFs, correct? If so, you should just by a new motherboard and chip. You can get a KT133A AMD board for $70, and a Duron 700 for about $30, and new PC133 RAM for $15. That's $115, cheaper than going the dual Celeron route, and you'd be seeing HUGE performance gains over going dual Celeron 333s. You probably wouldn't need a new case if that LX motherboard is ATX form factor. I say either keep what you have, or go for the Duron solution that will be cheaper.

"Trying is the first step towards failure."

G

I will probably leave as it is. Well, maybe will throw in another DIMM... How much would an eight-year old need anyway, just to learn the basics? At this stage, a more important "upgrade" might have been a new case that looks like a kitty. :)

Leo