Pentium is Intel's #1 (It's All About the Pentiums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Hehehehe, Epic win on the vid. EDIT: Its not just Canadia, they busted everyone, cant see it in the US either. Good thing its in my collection hehehehhe

And this is exactly why they still have, and will have, a Pentium brand for a long time. EVERYONE has heard of it. Its their mainstream cash cow.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;--
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title:--Romeo, doff thy name;
And for that name, which is no part of thee,
Take all myself.

In other words, who cares what they call it? I do think Core is most inane name they could up with, but it wouldn't prevent me from buying it. It's like GM naming their next car "engine".

As far as the Pentium name going away, that's wrong. They actually intended to kill it after the Pentium III++ (aka Core 2) came out, and then decided to add the name back into the mix.

Pentium sounds more high end than something so prosaic as "Core". Core sounds like a workman like processor that might not be the fastest, but gets it done. Pentium sounds more regal, maybe because it sounds like Penultimate. I guess the Pentium 4 kind of left a bad taste in people's mouth though.

They still sell Celeron, but it doesn't sell well anymore. The name sounds too much like a non-nutritive vegetable anyway. I don't know how they expected people to think "Celerity". Most people haven't even been exposed to that word. But most have been to Celery, sadly, and maybe even whacked for not wanting to eat it as a kid.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I think the use of YouTube is a nice commentary on the transitory nature of internet media. I've even seen "respected" news sites try to utilize these videos, only to have them blocked or taken down (sometimes by the original poster, often due to unfair usage). It all screams to me "this content is nothing more that fluff that has no meaning beyond the time it was posted"...

Sony Entertainment, you're never getting my money for blocking a damn video. Seems like you corporate idiots never understand that heavy-handed approach just generates more discontent.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
Kind of deceiving because I believe Intel started relabeling the low end Core2Duo's as "Pentium Dual Core" processors. I know I picked a Pentium Dual Core up for really cheap on a new computer I was building.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
Yummy boy, newer Pentiums are castrated C2Ds... and will probably transition to next gen cores. Even Celerons did it... well known names die hard.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Pentium was not a logic name any way ...
Back in the day when intel cpu's used the 80x86 names clones started to rise and since intel was about to release the 5th generation of cpu's (80586) and could not trademark the number 80586 they named it pentium (5th).

A pentium II would by that logic be a pentium (5th gen x86) version 2 and in case of the pentium II it made sense in some way since it was basically a pentium Pro with MMX however the pentium 3 was structurally so different that it was in no way another sub-generation of the 80586 the same goes for the awe-full designed that got the name pentium 4 (and no i am in no way a amd fanboy i use a combination of intel cpu's and ati grfx for years now but netburst just sucks).

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation]much of the mainstream market (especially in parts of the worldwide market) is price sensitive to the point that the older and much cheaper technology is preferred.[/citation]

Current Pentium CPUs are based on exactly the same technology as the Core2, just with less cache. The latest models even have as much L2 cache as some of the Core2 models. Also the mainstream market in north america is at least as price sensitive as in other parts of the world.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]hemelskonijn[/nom]Pentium was not a logic name any way ...Back in the day when intel cpu's used the 80x86 names clones started to rise and since intel was about to release the 5th generation of cpu's (80586) and could not trademark the number 80586 they named it pentium (5th).A pentium II would by that logic be a pentium (5th gen x86) version 2 and in case of the pentium II it made sense in some way since it was basically a pentium Pro with MMX however the pentium 3 was structurally so different that it was in no way another sub-generation of the 80586 the same goes for the awe-full designed that got the name pentium 4 (and no i am in no way a amd fanboy i use a combination of intel cpu's and ati grfx for years now but netburst just sucks).[/citation]

Actually, you're completely wrong on the generations. The Pentium Pro was nothing like the original Pentium. The original actually executed x86 instructions, and was in an in-order lockstepped design. The Pentium Pro is what we use today, as it became the Pentium II (moved cache off chip, cached segmentation registers for better 16-bit performance), Pentium III (added SSE), Pentium M, Core, Core 2, Core i7.

Interestingly, the Pentium Pro was widely despised when it came out because the performance on 16-bit apps was poor - slower than the Pentium clock for clock. Intel was told by Microsoft that everything would be 32-bit by 1995, and of course, it wasn't. So the Pentium Pro was never really a mainstream part, due to that and the cost of them. The Pentium II was the mainstream version.

The original Pentium is being used as the basis for the Larrabee though, so even it's not dead.

maximv

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
The original Pentium is being used as the basis for the Larrabee though, so even it's not dead.

well, It's dead now.

hemelskonijn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]Actually, you're completely wrong on the generations. The Pentium Pro was nothing like the original Pentium. The original actually executed x86 instructions, and was in an in-order lockstepped design. The Pentium Pro is what we use today, as it became the Pentium II[/citation]

Just like i wrote though your wrong about the MMX thing while it was optional on pentium 133Mhz up to 233Mhz cpu's all Pentium II cpu's used the MMX instruction set.
I know it is hard to read and even harder to google before you tell some one he is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.