Pentium M on Desktop mobo?

Morder

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi
I'm trying to build a energy efficient desktop computer, and was wondering if it would be possible to use an Pentium M 740 on a mobo with the intel 845 chipset? the sockets are identical, but I'm in doubt wether the chipset will support it.

Tostino

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
That would have made sense before C2D came out...

Just get a C2D and undervolt/underclock and you will have a very very energy efficient chip.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thats right, wont make much sense now, but if you really want to do it, get the AOpen i975Xa-YDG. Awfully expensive board but it has a FRIGGIN OVERCLOCKING REMOTE CONTROL! beat that.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Hi
I'm trying to build a energy efficient desktop computer, and was wondering if it would be possible to use an Pentium M 740 on a mobo with the intel 845 chipset? the sockets are identical, but I'm in doubt wether the chipset will support it.

The modern version of the PentM is called Core2duo now, but the old version (Pentium M) is fine for limited modest use (old software or just surfing and email, etc). Just be sure the motherboard "specs" on Newegg.com for example says your motherboard will accept the chip you want to use. Don't guess or use general info, check the specific motherboard in question. It will specifically say whether it will use the chip. I haven't tried to do this with a PentM (good but dated chip), but articles where published about it, and a search will find articles.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi
IIRC you need the 855 chipset. I think Gigabyte is the only maker that used it for DT.

Morder

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
It's for a school project on how to build a energy efficient pc. so my funds are very limited. (thus excluding a C2D)

I'm also looking at a Athlon xp-mobile 2800+. does anyone know if an ordinary socket A mobo will use it? (I have one with the VIA kt400 chipset..)

A desktop Socket A board will accept the Athlon XP-Ms. A desktop Socket 754 motherboard will also accept Socket 754 Turion 64s, which are much newer and faster than the XP-Ms. There are 25-watt Turion 64s- the MT series- that would run very nicely for you.