Pentium M's speedstep technolog?

YiFai

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Hello,

I have a Pentium M 1.7 ghz laptop, and to my understanding these mobile processors use speedstep so that they aren't running at 100% clockspeed all the time for energy savings. Is there a way to make sure they run at fullspeed all the time? and is this a bad thing for the CPU? Because i'm mainly using this as a laptop replacement, so i think it would be better to have it on fullspeed..

any input would be great, thanks!

YiFai

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I assume you mean you're using it as a <i>desktop</i> replacement :wink:

It'll go up to 100% if you start running anything that needs it, assuming you're running off mains voltage, unless you've deliberately set it to run in a low power mode.

And running a lappy permanently connected to the mains might not be too good for the battery, just a FYI. I suppose the more modern batteries are less susceptible to that, but it'd probably be a good idea to let it do a discharge/recharge cycle every few days anyway... (someone please correct me if I'm wrong of course - but my Laptop battery (which was virtually new) lost at least 30% capacity when I had it plugged in permanently for a few weeks. Just something to bear in mind :smile:

---
<pre> (\_/)
|~~~~~|======
|_____| This was bunny. He was tasty.
/\/\/\/\</pre><p>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I would remove the battery if I had my laptop plugged into external power, for those reasons.

-------
<b>It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Many lappies won't run without the battery.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

YiFai

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Thanks for the info chipdeath, i do recognize the battery problem.. i should try to remove it and see if the laptop is still stable on the desk

but back to my problem, itz mainly because i'm trying to run vmware on it, and sometimes i get a warning message saying my clockspeed is 1.2 ghz while the specs for the vm is 1.7ghz, which might cause clock problems.. so basically i'm trying to see if there's a way to run it at full speed all the time.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Mine has a icon @ the bottom that quicly lets u switch between maximum performance and maximum battery.

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Just install Folding@Home. It'll keep your CPU running at full speed. :)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<i>The <font color=red><b>Devil</b></font color=red> is in the details.</i>
@ 198K of 200K!

YiFai

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
ya thx for that last suggestion.. so instead of letting my comp speed up as programs demand more.. i flood the cpu so i'm at my max capacity... makes sense... esp when u play cpu intensive games or use cpu intensive apps...

endyen

Splendid
Naw, you missed by a mile. Folding will keep the chip at full speed, but has ultra low priority, so as soon as another task requires cpu, folding cuts back. In situations where the cpu is 100% used by something else, folding is on hold.

Please dont take it that I support the idea of running F@H on a laptop @ 100% cpu usage 24/7. It would be too much of a load. You can of course set it to 75%. :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by endyen on 09/28/05 07:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS