[SOLVED] People always say "try booting with 1 stick of RAM", ok, then what?

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
I upgraded from a R5 1600AF to a R5 3600.

MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. 16 GB G Skill Flare X, Mobo and RAM, same as I had only changed CPU.

PC will not post in dual channel. I get red led DRAM light. Well I read everywhere try booting with 1 stick of RAM. I did. It does.

What exactly am I supposed to accomplish with that? I know both sticks work in single channel, will post and go to Wiondows no problem. 2 No Post.

How does booting with 1 stick solve anything?

Solution
Thank You! Is there anything a person can try if they get a POST with 1 stick to try and make 2 work? Changing something in BIOS for example?
Is your motherboard bios current?
Often, bios updates address ram issues.
Are the sticks both from the same ram kit, or, are they two different sticks with the same part number?
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched...

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
It is to reduce the number of components, to hopefully find here the fault is.
Either a motherboard slot or specific RAM stick.

You test a single RAM stick.
Then, that same RAM stick in all the available slots.
Then, just the other RAM stick.
Again, in each of the slots individually.

Then, you move to two at a time.
Thank You! Is there anything a person can try if they get a POST with 1 stick to try and make 2 work? Changing something in BIOS for example?

Is your motherboard bios current?
Often, bios updates address ram issues.
Are the sticks both from the same ram kit, or, are they two different sticks with the same part number?
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.

One thing to try is to install just one stick and increase the ram voltage in the bios.
Then, try the second. And... use the two slots as per your motherboard manual.

Solution