News People Are Flying Into Hurricane Laura in Microsoft Flight Simulator

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
hmmmm , okay I am buying it .. any one please tell me which package to get? Standard/Deluxe/Premium ?
I bought the premium From what I read, the basic difference between the Premium and standard is you get 10 more airports and 10 more planes. Deluxe, you actually get 5 more of each than of Standard, thus it increments in 5 for each tier.

I haven't been successful at flying at all, the game is very difficult to control and takes a lot of patience to learn. I'm starting to feel like really good Flight Simulator players are much more skilled than Call of Duty players, a game which I abandoned early on because I'm just not good with the controls in general.

With FS, it's a little like learning a new car to drive. In otherwords, you know where the controls are for each plane, but they look totally different in another. I'm still trying to learn the basics of one plane, as I barely learned how to take off.

The most important thing about this game, is your PC. It looks amazing, but not on my PC. It runs pretty well, I must say, but I've had to turn my graphics on medium. My system specs are:
CPU: 5960X (at 3.3 GHz, not sure how that happened, stock is 3.0 GHz)
MOBO: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
RAM: 16GB of DDR4 @ 2800 MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ACX SC (4GB of GPU)
Monitor: ASUS VS278Q-P (1ms response time, refresh rate: 60 Hz, 1080p)

Looking at gaming specs, I imagine my processor would be just fine, IF I overclocked it to 3.8 GHz. I'm not an overclocker, so if I were to do that, I'd be at the mercy of my motherboard's presets. GPU on the other hand, only handles MS FS 2000 at medium settings. In fact, from what I've read, the "Ultra" settings could be so intense that even a RTX 2080 Ti might still cause problems at Max settings. I won't upgrade my PC just for one game. I've also read that the game can use up to 24 GB of RAM.

I've been watching a lot of YouTubers on this game this whole week. It looks like cars either their wheels bleed onto the ground or they're floating. That is, if you'd actually get close enough to observe. I was watching a video where the person looked at different animals, like elephants, flamingos and bears. For a game that looks pretty real, these objects (or animals?) did not. Then again, maybe it could be a graphics setting that could be tweaked.

If I was seriously considering upgrading my GPU for this game, I would wait until the 3080 or 3090 comes out and see what those benchmarks for this game end up being, but only if I were needing a new monitor, as well.

I'm also dying to see a multi-monitor setup with this game. I saw an 8 monitor setup with Flight Simulator X, not with 2020, yet. If you can do multi-monitors on this game, you have the resources, I would definitely look into it, as it's really difficult to see everything you need on the screen and keep switching to and from it with one screen, at least, for me.

Reactions: nofanneeded
I've been watching a lot of YouTubers on this game this whole week. It looks like cars either their wheels bleed onto the ground or they're floating. That is, if you'd actually get close enough to observe. I was watching a video where the person looked at different animals, like elephants, flamingos and bears. For a game that looks pretty real, these objects (or animals?) did not. Then again, maybe it could be a graphics setting that could be tweaked.
Being a flight simulator, it's expected that you will typically be viewing these things from the air, not from a few meters away on the ground. Considering that, the amount of detail put into the animals actually seems quite high.

I'm also dying to see a multi-monitor setup with this game. I saw an 8 monitor setup with Flight Simulator X, not with 2020, yet. If you can do multi-monitors on this game, you have the resources, I would definitely look into it, as it's really difficult to see everything you need on the screen and keep switching to and from it with one screen, at least, for me.
VR would arguably be a better solution than a huge number of screens like that. It's a feature that's coming to the simulator, just not right at launch. Keeping frame rates up high enough to run it well in VR might be a challenge without lowering settings a fair amount though.