People Are Mad That Google May Kill Chrome Ad Blockers

I'm furious.

If all of these pro-ad mooks could stop serving malware, maybe I'd abide them. As it stands, their services are usually worth at best a few cents, whereas virus repair/the time is worth $150+ in my area.

If they want to kill adblockers, how about we introduce liability to police their ads? We know how that'd work out.

Anyway, I like chrome, but no adblocking is a deal-breaker, depending on how severe this change is. Personally, I get major "enroll, extend, extinguish" vibes from this.

Google makes a browser that can't block ads ...

I'm surprised Google let Chrome block ads at all for this long.

"A fox guarding the hen house" comes to mind.

I've always used Firefox and Noscript, but even this was only a last line of defense.

Adguard DNS can block ads no matter which browser you use.
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

A custom HOSTS file can also block ads no matter which browser you use.
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

When I teach Online Security classes I sadly use Toms Hardware to show the difference between a site with tons of ads (before any of the above protections) and a site with no ads (after the above protections) with a page load timer showing exactly how much time is saved with ads being removed.

Pat Flynn

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2013
More reason to move to Firefox. I've had performance issues with Chrome since the meltdown/spectre fixes and been using FF ever since. It fully supports all kinds of ad-block extensions, although you have to work some magic to block the autoplay videos on this site (cut that crap out Tom's!!)

Glad I switched to Firefox.

Honestly, I see no reason to use Chrome since the Firefox Quantum update. Firefox has a far superior black theme, just as fast if not faster than Chrome, and I am not forced to log into the browser if I want to log into youtube (that was the deal breaker for me).

There's way too much missing from this future pudding. To provide users with TV from the 1970's full of commercials that can't be removed just doesn't make sense. I can believe that M$'s recent if you can't beat 'em move will make Google strut but these rumors are a shameless iceberg.

BryanFRitt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
"Google makes a browser that can't block ads ...
I'm surprised Google let Chrome block ads at all for this long."
perhaps this may be why...
"A lot of ad blockers have by default exceptions that permit google ads/spyware", weaken competitors abilities to display ads, etc...

kenyob

Reputable
Sep 2, 2014
This sucks. I love unlock origin and have been using it for a couple years now. This may cause me to switch to Firefox from chrome. It's feeling pretty sluggish anyway.

In the meantime I am running pihole on my raspberry pi at home at least that keeps almost all ads at Bay.

Justin Beaird

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
This is why I use pihole on raspberry pi as dhcp and dns server. It also has a cache and speeds up whole network. Cloudflare dns servers are alot faster than my ISP dns also has dnssec.

Noscript, Custom hosts file, and Adguard DNS will all block google ads or to be more specific DoubleClick which is soon having its name changed to Ad Stack

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoubleClick
https://adexchanger.com/platforms/doubleclick-no-more-google-renames-its-ad-stack/

Besides hijacking my hosts file and or dns there is no way to weaken this protection.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Also a way to push people into buying their premium ad free version of Youtube as it will block ads if you pay... been no reason to pay if Ublock does it for you. I don't like ads, its reason I stopped watching TV... one of them anyway. I don't want YT to turn into TV, you can still learn facts from YT now. Don't learn anything on TV.

I have to remember to use Firefox, maybe I should remove chrome from toolbar once i coped all the stuff I need off it.

I use the Samsung browser on phone and it already blocks ads, wonder if that feature be removed as well.

IceMyth

Honorable
Dec 15, 2015
I personally stopped using Chrome few months ago due to their settings is so bad to do small change (on my opinion no UX on their side). I am currently using only FireFox & Vivaldi (built on top of Chrome but better UX)

why are ppl still using Chrome is the real question.

Its a RAM hog and has no benefit over Firefox. (at the start chrome beat it, but its since went from lite to hog and is no logner case)

firefox + ublockorigin, enhancer for youtube, and a script blocker (for when you dont know the site or trust it to run them)