People Buying Tablets Instead of Cheap PCs, Says Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.
The primarily reason they are selling well is because for most things you can get away with just using a tablet put microsoft office on a tablet and add the ability to use a keyboard and boom cheaper then a laptop and does the same sorts of things.

For games, editing, rendering, photo work, business's you will still need a desktop of some kind but yea I don't think this surprises me in the least. If anything I wonder why Apple hasn't hit the 200 dollar mark the ipad mini isn't a whole lot closer to that client who wants a cheap tablet like the kindle, nook, and nexus.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... not in developing countries... with a cheep pc you can be more productive...[/citation]
You can easily be just as productive on tablets that are designed to provide that kind of functionality (i.e. Surface, ASUS Transformer tablets).

G

Meh I rather game on my desktop at 2560 x 1600 all ultra settings, mouse and keyboard any day over a tablet. Everything else I do on my "phablet phone" the Galaxy Note and soon the Note 2.

G

From a company that is not building Cheap PCs of any Kind, but is in tablets, sure they are going to downplay the cheep PC, even if you can get a cheep PC for arount $300-$350 that does more than a tablet that costs 500 or more! Most of the people buying tablets already own a pc, I own 3 laptops! I will not pay any more than $200 for a tablet! Anyone that expects to do anything on a Windows RT tablet, can expect to pay for any software on this closed ecosystem, but with the cheep laptops in the $300 to $350 range users can install all the open source software for free, such as Libra or Open office, gimp, and Blender! As for my laptops, none of them cost more than $550, and the latest one I own came with a Sandy bidge Core i7, and I still get more than 6 hours of battery life on it! People rarely need more than 6 hours of battery life on their devices, as Airports, airplanes, and trains all have power outlets! Most people in the coffee houses that are on Tablets, have the tablets plugged in, so power is not the issue It once was! I will be running windows 7 on my laptops, and I have no need to upgrade to Windows 8! Until tablets have the ability to run a full version of a desktop operating system, expect Android based Tablets to be the best deal for under $200.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"He indicated that consumers are beginning to realize that a top-notch tablet with solid features is better than a cheap PC with sub-par components."

... my best guess is that most readers here don't buy cheap PC's either.... most of us simply build our own systems so that we can choose exactly which components do we want on our PC's.

.. just a thought...

[citation][nom]bigshootr8[/nom]The primarily reason they are selling well is because for most things you can get away with just using a tablet put microsoft office on a tablet and add the ability to use a keyboard and boom cheaper then a laptop and does the same sorts of things.[/citation]
Just the cost of a "cheap" mobile Intel CPU ($200), and Windows ($80) and Office ($100) are enough to make the laptop more expensive than most tablets. The Microsoft and Intel taxes are a millstone around the low-end laptop industry.

That's why tablets have overrun the low-end laptop market IMHO. Dollar for dollar you can get better hardware (certainly a better screen) with the tablet. The ARM CPUs may not perform as well as an i3, but in most cases they're "fast enough." It's the same problem Microsoft and Intel faced with netbooks (which ran Linux on non-Intel CPUs before Microsoft made Windows Starter and Intel made the Atom processor). But I don't think they're going to be able to convert tablets into x86 devices running Windows this time around. The iOS and Android software markets have reached critical mass.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Now with Microsoft Surface and Windows RT, the distinction between a tablet and a cheap notebook has all but disappeared.... The future of cheap PCs is tablets.
I think he may be confused with Surface Pro, in which case he doesn't make the chips.

neo_moco

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Meh I rather game on my desktop at 2560 x 1600 all ultra settings, mouse and keyboard any day over a tablet. Everything else I do on my "phablet phone" the Galaxy Note and soon the Note 2.[/citation]
They are talking about a cheap pc in like 200-300$ ... you are talking about a 1000$ pc without the v.expensive 2560x1600 display.

G

My wife travels and does presentations one-on-one with clients. I just bought her a Lenovo Yoga 13 -- haven't received it yet. She loves the idea of doing presentations with it and then switching to notebook mode to get work done.

Myself? I've tried the Windows 8 experience in a VM. Fun for all of 30 minutes, then I became progressively more and more angry every time that f*cking Start Window blocked my view to the desktop.

There's value in the Windows 8 tablet interface for casual computing. It hampers working with multiple applications simultaneously. There's no way in hell I'm installing it as my primary OS on my workstation.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
I wrote on Tom's a few years back that Apple's tablet paradigm shift would destroy the bottom-mid-end Laptop/PC market... Of course, most here vehemently disagreed, and I got thumbed to oblivion.

G

CheepPCsAreTheBestValue, said:

From a company that is not building Cheap PCs of any Kind, but is in tablets, sure they are going to downplay the cheep PC, even if you can get a cheep PC for arount $300-$350 that does more than a tablet that costs 500 or more! Most of the people buying tablets already own a pc, I own 3 laptops! I will not pay any more than $200 for a tablet! Anyone that expects to do anything on a Windows RT tablet, can expect to pay for any software on this closed ecosystem, but with the cheep laptops in the $300 to $350 range users can install all the open source software for free, such as Libra or Open office, gimp, and Blender! As for my laptops, none of them cost more than $550, and the latest one I own came with a Sandy bidge Core i7, and I still get more than 6 hours of battery life on it! People rarely need more than 6 hours of battery life on their devices, as Airports, airplanes, and trains all have power outlets! Most people in the coffee houses that are on Tablets, have the tablets plugged in, so power is not the issue It once was! I will be running windows 7 on my laptops, and I have no need to upgrade to Windows 8! Until tablets have the ability to run a full version of a desktop operating system, expect Android based Tablets to be the best deal for under $200.

Tablets running windows RT are not the same as A cheep PC, RT is very limited Run Time(RT) and closed to non windows store apps, there are plenty of cheep(in Price) PC with good hardware on sale. Windows RT is so limited, Do you see any open source software being offered on the current surface, no , only a PC can run the full verson of windows Any RT tablet will be limited, and for 500+ you can get a damn good ASUS or other low priced (not Cheep) PC, That can run circles around the surface! Value PCs beat any RT device hands down! The microsoft surface tablet keyboard covers are very Cheep and poorly constructed!

@YesYouRight

Since the Surface comes with Office (word, power point, excel) and all the basic software for general computing, you already have more software than most people will have on their cheap PC. There is no need for more, for a lot of people.

That said, in the future, as companies get on board with the new UI, they will be building apps around .NET. These applications are portable to all Windows 8 systems. At least, this is what Microsoft's is planning for.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Most people would use a PC for skype, browsing, facebook , etc amyway. A lot of people don't require more than the basics, and a lot of tablets - especially the Surface - provide exactly what they need

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Meh I rather game on my desktop at 2560 x 1600 all ultra settings, mouse and keyboard any day over a tablet.[/citation]
Most tablets either have a host or OTG USB port that enables people who really want to use their tablets with a keyboard, mouse or other external devices to do exactly that - though some of these may require additional software and a jailbroken device.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Solandri[/nom]Just the cost of a "cheap" mobile Intel CPU ($200), and Windows ($80) and Office ($100) are enough to make the laptop more expensive than most tablets. The Microsoft and Intel taxes are a millstone around the low-end laptop industry.That's why tablets have overrun the low-end laptop market IMHO. Dollar for dollar you can get better hardware (certainly a better screen) with the tablet. The ARM CPUs may not perform as well as an i3, but in most cases they're "fast enough." It's the same problem Microsoft and Intel faced with netbooks (which ran Linux on non-Intel CPUs before Microsoft made Windows Starter and Intel made the Atom processor). But I don't think they're going to be able to convert tablets into x86 devices running Windows this time around. The iOS and Android software markets have reached critical mass.[/citation]

The power of a $200 Intel CPU would tear through the best tablet processors, not even comparable. A full version of Office isn't comparable in productivity to anything on a tablet either. You might as well be saying a Porsche is more expensive than your bicycle. Ultra cheap PCs can still be made with tablet level quality and power (ahem Chromebooks). An integrated Atom or AMD system is still better than Tegra and cheaper. You still have the option to drop a linux kernel on it for FREE and have a better OS than Droid/iOS. I can build an entire integrated system for under $300 that would still take a belt to a tablet any day of the week.

So why did the "netbook" model fail? We're talking a consumer level here, netbooks weren't the ideal solution for home consumers. Tablets are better for media and content consumption, and that's what consumers need. They are more comfortable to use with simple tasks. Productivity is for work, they already have PCs at work to do their productivity. Tablets are not taking over the business sector. People are not typing 300WPM on a tablet. Sure, you can get a BT keyboard and type away on a tablet, but that isn't business friendly. Touch screens and bluetooth devices also come with their own "taxes". You can get a better productivity machine with a PC for cheaper than with a tablet, because the comfort premiums of a tablet do not increase productivity. They are two different devices with two different usages.

Of course Nvidia would want to downplay the potential of a netbook device though. Cheap PCs are a business sector they have no part in. Their rivals at Intel and AMD are the ones involved with cheap integrated PCs.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]The power of a $200 Intel CPU would tear through the best tablet processors, not even comparable. A full version of Office isn't comparable in productivity to anything on a tablet either. You might as well be saying a Porsche is more expensive than your bicycle. Ultra cheap PCs can still be made with tablet level quality and power (ahem Chromebooks). An integrated Atom or AMD system is still better than Tegra and cheaper. You still have the option to drop a linux kernel on it for FREE and have a better OS than Droid/iOS. I can build an entire integrated system for under $300 that would still take a belt to a tablet any day of the week.So why did the "netbook" model fail? We're talking a consumer level here, netbooks weren't the ideal solution for home consumers. Tablets are better for media and content consumption, and that's what consumers need. They are more comfortable to use with simple tasks. Productivity is for work, they already have PCs at work to do their productivity. Tablets are not taking over the business sector. People are not typing 300WPM on a tablet. Sure, you can get a BT keyboard and type away on a tablet, but that isn't business friendly. Touch screens and bluetooth devices also come with their own "taxes". You can get a better productivity machine with a PC for cheaper than with a tablet, because the comfort premiums of a tablet do not increase productivity. They are two different devices with two different usages.Of course Nvidia would want to downplay the potential of a netbook device though. Cheap PCs are a business sector they have no part in. Their rivals at Intel and AMD are the ones involved with cheap integrated PCs.[/citation]
There are at least two underlying ideas you seem to be missing from your equation.
1) For many productivity tasks, such as word processing, having a faster processor means nothing. Many productivity tasks take almost no CPU power, they just need a responsive interface.
2) The productive tablet is for the mobile user, not the person chained to a desk.

The netbooks failure was most likely two fold; they didn't have the power to handle a full version of Windows and be responsive, and they are too much like a regular notebook to be worth the trade off. New hardware and OS's have fixed the responsiveness issue, and they are considerably smaller then a notebook.

And 300WPM typing is something reserved for the worlds fastest typist(s). The fastest typists I've ever met top out at 120wpm, but they are the exception, and that kind of skill isn't that useful for most tasks.

G

K-zon

I really don't think it matters alot either of such to. The performance is probably the same, just the mobilty is probably more useful gven when in use you can essentially put in anywhere.

And of such say use anywhere as well too to say rather it would be in a use as say a "cheaper" pc or not.

Might say cheaper pcs are probably still placed within alot of cable usages which probably doesn't find an appeal after awhile. Then any for a use with a tablet probably isn't for very long either for there is no need to say.

It might be right, but it might be right only on an interest of a few things probably just at say a few times to say for awhile.

And Windows 8 and/or RT of 8 ad any probably for awhile even on XP if im not too mistaken probably has had either little or alot to do with the difference for say the interest of industry also as well to say.

fatality1515

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Tablets will have their own purpose among many other devices.. They will never replace PCs. I mean, I much rather move my mouse an inch with my wrist to go across the screen 24 inches than to move my entire arm 24 inches on the tablet to click/touch on something. People who think tablets will replace the PC are seriously out of touch with reality..

Status
Not open for further replies.