[SOLVED] People still paying $1700 US for 2080 TI cards?

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
Like most, I have been skulking about the retail sites trying to land a 3080 after the launch day fiasco. The thing that gets me is I still see lots of 2080 TI listings for as much as $1,700. Are folks still paying that? I mean I understand the 3080 is hard to get, but why spend more than double the price of a 3080 to land the older card? What am I missing?
*(edited to correct typo in title)

Solution
I thought BetterCardLowerPrice vs OlderCardHigherPrice would more drastically affect the market value. My understanding of economics must be dated :LOL:. I figured the prices of the 2-series gpus would plummet with the release of the 3-series. Even with the supply issue, Im gonna wait the few weeks, but thats just me.
`The 10 series didn't exactly plummet when the 20 series came out either.
Used GTX 1080s are still going for $300.
The thing is...even though the older series cards are older...some of those cards still perform pretty decent.

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
I'm seeing the lower priced RTX 2080 Tis going for around $900-1000 on EBay new with the "buy now" price. I think this is a reasonably good estimate of market value.

I thought BetterCardLowerPrice vs OlderCardHigherPrice would more drastically affect the market value. My understanding of economics must be dated :LOL:. I figured the prices of the 2-series gpus would plummet with the release of the 3-series. Even with the supply issue, Im gonna wait the few weeks, but thats just me.

`The 10 series didn't exactly plummet when the 20 series came out either.
Used GTX 1080s are still going for $300.
The thing is...even though the older series cards are older...some of those cards still perform pretty decent.

Solution

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah you're right. My 1070 still performs pretty well. I must be a niche guy. I'd rather wait and pay the lower prices for the new gen card. I was waiting for a reason to upgrade, and getting into DCS World pushed me over the edge. Now I NEEEEEED that 3080 lol!

Unless the store finds that clearing out inventory is better for their bottom line because they've secured the latest product, they usually won't budge from MSRP because well, they bought the cards to sell before the new stuff was out. For all we know, those 2080 Tis were sitting in inventory for months.

I'm under no impression that stores receive cards upfront for free and pay the manufacturer later if they sell.

Reactions: scottomatic

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
Unless the store finds that clearing out inventory is better for their bottom line because they've secured the latest product, they usually won't budge from MSRP because well, they bought the cards to sell before the new stuff was out. For all we know, those 2080 Tis were sitting in inventory for months.

I'm under no impression that stores receive cards upfront for free and pay the manufacturer later if they sell.

Im sure they need to get thier money back. I figured taking the hit on old stock after a new release was just part of the risk of being cutting edge tech retailer.

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
A friend of mine sold his 2080ti to a guy on reddit for $500. I think retail wise you aren't going to see many prices like that, unless you're somewhere outside of north america.
Private sellers are selling them for relatively cheap.

Yeah thats more like what I was expecting to see. I bet after the next wave of 3080's are released, the retailers won't be able to sell those at markup prices. It doesn't really matter to me since I've made the decision to wait out the 3080 supply issue, but I was curious if the market actually still supports those prices.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
when the 3080 launched, i checked immediately the prices for 2080ti on ebay.

must have been thousand of people doing the same thing, and some click "buy now". that keeps the price high.

so the price will remain high for the coming months, until the 3070/3080 are readily available everywhere

on local classified ads, i see people offering about 700$ CAD for a 2080ti . sellers asks around 1000$CAD most of the time. so the used value in my area is somewhere in between

Reactions: scottomatic

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
when the 3080 launched, i checked immediately the prices for 2080ti on ebay.

must have been thousand of people doing the same thing, and some click "buy now". that keeps the price high.

so the price will remain high for the coming months, until the 3070/3080 are readily available everywhere

on local classified ads, i see people offering about 700$ CAD for a 2080ti . sellers asks around 1000$CAD most of the time. so the used value in my area is somewhere in between

The last few years I've paid little attention. I just upgrade every other gen and I haven't nerd-ed out on GPU specs in a long time. Its interesting to see how the market handles these releases. Not quite what I expected.

scottomatic

Prominent
Dec 24, 2018
aha! I guess it just took a week to set in. Wonder how much longer til they do it in the states. I guess in this context a week pretty much = "immediately". 😃

aha! I guess it just took a week to set in. Wonder how much longer til they do it in the states. I guess in this context a week pretty much = "immediately". 😃
Honestly I'd only see this with stores that have a physical presence, but aren't big like Best Buy. And only if they're trying to clear out inventory to make room for something else.

The US has so much space that stores can afford enough warehouses to keep stuff like this indefinitely until they have to liquidate. As the article was reporting a price drop in Malaysia, I can see them wanting to rotate through things quickly.