Per core overclocking

psycher1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Any real advantages to this? From what I've read, the first core is the most important in gaming. That is a very general statement, I realize it's very program specific. Either way, would there be any benefit for my old AMD Phenom II 965 to have a 4.2 oc on core 1 and a 3.9/3.8 elsewhere? (Running a stable 4.0 all around right now, cooled with push/pull hyper 212 evo)

Solution
As far as I'm aware you cannot clock each core separately, and believe me I've pushed my 975 about as far as I can, stable at 4.6GHz and sketchily booting up at 4.7GHz was as far as I got and I found that a solid 4GHz was sufficient for any games I wanted to play, not only was there no improvement from higher clocks, I found it actually hurt my gaming.
Once I swapped out my 4x2Gb for 2x4Gb sticks, I found it was way more happy but due to further modding plans I dropped out of the torture game for a while, I may go for a suicide run when I'm in a position to upgrade mobo and chip though :) 5GHz Deneb on water anyone? :p
Moto

Anonymouselite5

Distinguished
Well I have never tried it with cpu's, but most likely it will not work. I think they have to all be the same speed.
Im just basing this information on gpu's since 2 cards have to be the same clock rate or if one is faster the faster clock slows to match the slower one.

Cpu's are much different but I don't see much benefit anyway in running different clocks on different cores. Also where you read the first core is important for gaming depends on the game, most modern games are well coded to use all 4 effectively. Older games support up to 1-2 but they are so old that your cpu will have no problem.

If I were you I would just keep it as it is.

-good luck

As far as I'm aware you cannot clock each core separately, and believe me I've pushed my 975 about as far as I can, stable at 4.6GHz and sketchily booting up at 4.7GHz was as far as I got and I found that a solid 4GHz was sufficient for any games I wanted to play, not only was there no improvement from higher clocks, I found it actually hurt my gaming.
Once I swapped out my 4x2Gb for 2x4Gb sticks, I found it was way more happy but due to further modding plans I dropped out of the torture game for a while, I may go for a suicide run when I'm in a position to upgrade mobo and chip though :) 5GHz Deneb on water anyone? :p
Moto

Solution