Perfect cooling profil for a 1080 Ti

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Hello everybody !

So i recently bought a GTX 1080 Ti MSI Gaming X and... It's awesome !

I make the difference between those 3 situations:

Computer on / Screen off / doing nothing : GPU: 28°C (83°F)
Normal use on the Internet or whatever: GPU: up to 55°C (131°F)
Gaming (Ultra settings + 2k): GPU: Max 72°C (162°F)

So I guess 162°F while gaming is correct right?

Is it normal that i get up to 131°F while surfing on the internet or things like that? For that I let my case fans (4) running 100%.

I tried to let all of them run automatically, meaning 50% while Internet surfing and then my GPU went up to 140°F and then cooled down (140°F means GPU-fans start switching on) and then again up to 140°F and so on...

My question is: is it "bad" for the card to be constantly at 131°F? Should I change the profile of the GPU fans to let them start earlier ?

Thank you very much in advance ! :)

Solution

Yeah drop down to 120Hz, I would leave it there, I doubt you will notice the difference in gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3357534/evga-gtx-1070-ftw-higher-base-clock-144hz-monitor.html

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Hello !

Well... That was fast :D. Thank you very much for your answer !

So I should let my case fans running 100%, meaning that the GPU would always have temp between 125 and 131°F, is that it?

I would have loved to push them down to 50% so that it is more silent. But then I reach the 140°F while Internet surfing...

The card is running at full speed?

You need to take the card out of performance mode so the clocks will drop during normal use.

I have a GTX 1080 and I can't even hear my machine running at all unless I stick my ear right next to the case.

And I have a Cooler Master Master Case 5 Pro so it's open air for the most part.

And my GPU temps are like 35C normal.

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Thanks again for the answer.

Well if I let my case fans run 50% i cannot here anything too. But as said, my GPU hits then the 140°F and the GPU fans start running (It's the standard configuration from MSI, that they start running at 140°F).

So I let them run 100%, which I can hear.

Here my current profil:

https://imgur.com/vKoR90m

It is quite warm for a GPU working at 1%, isn't it?

You need to take it out of performance mode, your clocks are too high for normal use, running 1400+ MHz.

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017

Thanks very much for the answer ! As said, if I let them run 50%, my GPU hits then the 60°C. So they start and then it cools. And then again; and so on... Can't be normal while I am just surfing, right?

Please have alook at my other answer, I posted a temp profil of my computer while internet surfing.

Thanking you in advance ! :)

Here is mine under normal use.

Card_Normal.jpg

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Well ok ! So the problem is not my case or whatever, but really the fact that the GPU is somehow running "something" while I do nothing.

I am kind of relieved though :D. Now let's find out what the GPU is doing xD

And yes, Afterburner ! You were faster than me, I wanted to send you a picture of it.

http://

Here you go !

Set to defaults ands see if it drops.

And right click on the desktop and open Nvidia control panel, and click on manage 3D settings.

Scroll down to Power Management Mode and set to Optimal Power.

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Everything was already like you said, did not drop. Ok now I am starting to be afraid :D.

What is going on...?

My Monitor is a 2560*1440 144Hz with G-Sync, could this be possible that it demands that much even when I am just surfing on the Internet ?

Possible and very likely.

Close the browsers and see if the clocks drop.

If not turn off GSync and see if they drop.

Personally I don't think GSYNC offers anything with a 144Hz refresh rate and a fast card like yours etc.

aymeric.bardies

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Alright so I found the problem !!!

G-Sync wasn't it, it makes no difference. Although I changed the refresh rate ON my monitor. It was 144Hz, I put it down to 60Hz.

I got then 139Mhz (sometimes going up to 1544Mhz while browsing but I assume it is normal) of clock on my GPU.

So... Thanks a lot for the help. Now another question !!! Why the heck can't I let my monitor at 144Hz ? :D. It can't be, right?

(The time I wrote this message my GPU is already down to 37°C so that was definitely it !)

Interesting that the refresh rate would make the card run like that all the time, I really dunno why that would be or make any difference with G-Sync off in normal use.

Connected HDMI?

I am sure there is a work around, I just don't know what it is.

Yeah drop down to 120Hz, I would leave it there, I doubt you will notice the difference in gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3357534/evga-gtx-1070-ftw-higher-base-clock-144hz-monitor.html

Solution