Perfect download speed but poor upload on just 1 device

abyssbreak

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
So I have gigabit fiber internet from verizon, which has always been greatly reliable. My router is the ASUS GT-AC5300. I run 2 desktop PC's via wired connection. Recently one of them is receiving perfect download speeds, but the upload speed is ~1mbps. On the other PC both upload and download is perfect. Swapping ports and ethernet cables does not change the results. If i set up the bad upload pc via wifi, i get decent speeds but of course its not the full speed because wifi. I would chalk this up to just being a mobo nic issue, but recently my router does not display any lights at all on the front. some lights come on when i reset it but when the router fully boots all the lights switch off. so I'm wondering if this might be a router issue in the end and its just having some trouble communicating with one of my pc's

Solution
Delete and reinstall the driver on the problem PC? I'm hoping it's just a driver setting that got hosed. I'm inclined to think it's not a router issue seeing as you said you changed ports and it's still not working right. It does sound like your router is starting to have issues. But this issue is hopefully a driver issue, and at worse just a dying NIC issue.

abyssbreak

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

that doesnt explain why im getting 700 down/up on one pc and 700 down and ~1 up on another pc.
this is only a recent development also. usually i get around 800 down/up on both pcs. and my interned is not cable its fiber.

4745454b

Titan
Delete and reinstall the driver on the problem PC? I'm hoping it's just a driver setting that got hosed. I'm inclined to think it's not a router issue seeing as you said you changed ports and it's still not working right. It does sound like your router is starting to have issues. But this issue is hopefully a driver issue, and at worse just a dying NIC issue.

Solution

abyssbreak

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Driver updates solved the issue. thanks!
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.
I have 3 NIC's and all of them were having the issue.
I just assumed my motherboard was broken.

Latest posts