Question Perfomance problems on gaming laptop ?

MiltyDK

Reputable
May 2, 2020
I've had a Gigabyte G5 Gaming Laptop for about 2 years now and it's work pretty much perfectly fine and ran all the games that I've wanted to well in that time but recently there has been this very weird stuttering/fps drops issue and I can't figure out why. The issue is when I play most games they run well for about a couple minutes at most and sometimes not even that long and then after that they stutter and freeze up pretty much every second when I'm playing a somewhat graphics intensive game like Destiny 2, Call of Duty MWII, or even a well optimized game like Doom Eternal that always used to run well before.

I've tried checking my performance through software and the only thing I've found is that when the fps drops my gpu utilization goes down for that second as well so maybe it's something with that? I've also completely reset my pc so I also don't really have much software installed right now except steam and my games but it's still doing the same thing after doing that which makes me think it might be some kind of hardware problem but I really have no idea, I've also tried using my ssd for games, turning down graphics to the lowest and a few more things but nothing has seemed to work and I'm not sure of what else I could try to fix the problem.

MiltyDK

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Monitor temperatures.

When was the last time you cleaned out the fans and heatsinks?

Re-pasting the CPU and GPU may be needed.
I have looked a bit into my temperature while playing graphically intensive games and it looks like I’m usually getting around low 80s which I looked up and is from what I saw normal for a laptop but is that true or is that actually pretty high?

Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Run HWmonitor.
After the failure, look at the max temperatures.
If you have throttled(slowed down) you may see 100c on some cores in red(if your processor is Intel)
I think the number may be 85c. for ryzen.
Check that your cpu fans are spinning and that your airways are clear.
If no joy there, repasting the processor may help.

MiltyDK

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Failure after a time smacks of a heat issue.
Run HWmonitor.
After the failure, look at the max temperatures.
If you have throttled(slowed down) you may see 100c on some cores in red(if your processor is Intel)
I think the number may be 85c. for ryzen.
Check that your cpu fans are spinning and that your airways are clear.
If no joy there, repasting the processor may help.
I tried using HWMoniter and it looks like I was getting what you said which is a red 100c so I'm thinking there is definitely an issue with my temperature so I'm gonna probably re paste my processor and dust out my laptop if there is any in there. But I did find something out that I haven't tested much since you mentioned the thermals. I tried lifting up my laptop since pretty much all the fan and ventilation is on the bottom and it actually seemed like from the little amount I tested it that it somehow fixed it because I tried lifting it up and down and it started when I put it down but seemed to mostly stop when lifting it up which was interesting and I'll test it out more but I'll look into thermals because that seems to be the issue from what I found while testing.

If your fan vents are on the bottom, then I think you have found your problem.
See if you can have the laptop elevated.
There are active cooling pads available for laptops.
They do not refrigerate air, but includes fans to send more airflow to the cooling vents.

Do clear out any dust in the airways.

Repasting is a very common bit of advice, but it rarely leads to a solution.
Paste should not dry out and become ineffective for a very long time. (5 years?)
Opening up a laptop carries some risk of causing a problem that you did not have before.

And... 100c and throttling is not always bad so long as the pc does not fail.
Modern motherboards try to boost performance as high as possible, backing off when the throttle point is reached.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light.
They can not be nearly as efficient as a desktop cooler.

MiltyDK

Reputable
May 2, 2020
If your fan vents are on the bottom, then I think you have found your problem.
See if you can have the laptop elevated.
There are active cooling pads available for laptops.
They do not refrigerate air, but includes fans to send more airflow to the cooling vents.

Do clear out any dust in the airways.

Repasting is a very common bit of advice, but it rarely leads to a solution.
Paste should not dry out and become ineffective for a very long time. (5 years?)
Opening up a laptop carries some risk of causing a problem that you did not have before.

And... 100c and throttling is not always bad so long as the pc does not fail.
Modern motherboards try to boost performance as high as possible, backing off when the throttle point is reached.
Laptop coolers need to be small and light.
They can not be nearly as efficient as a desktop cooler.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking too when I was testing lifting it up yesterday so I ordered something that keeps it elevated that should come tomorrow and if that doesn’t work completely then I might try and repaste but hopefully having it elevated works completely like it did yesterday and not just for a while and I’ll try to post the results from that tomorrow night.

MiltyDK

Reputable
May 2, 2020
So I've been doing some test after getting something to elevate my laptop up and that seemed to fix the issue I was having from what I've seen while playing games and it just needed some more airflow I think. Thanks to everyone who helped me out from this thread and I really appreciate it.

TRENDING THREADS