"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Bump for sticky - Ive built numerous PCs and consider myself extremely adept but I still end up screwing one annoying riser screw in the wrong place and shorting my Mobo (its never resulted in failure though).

I swear to read this every time I build a PC for anyone xD

prof_speedy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
:wahoo: Couldn't agree more. Thanks for great checklist and pics. Started sweating when our first self-build wasn't posting. The case and cpu fans started and quickly shut down. Didn't have to go far down your list - my 10 year old quickly spotted our error - #2. He plugged in the CPU power supply and all is good.

Sharkey

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I looked around on other websites but NONE told me to power the CPU (I'm a beginner). You were absolutely right and thank you so much, I was so frustrated. :DDDDDDDD

skm

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
One thing to add to the original article:

What do you do if your motherboard does not have a speaker?

Such is the case of the Tyan S2915 motherboard that I am working on now.
(I know this board comes in several versions mine comes straight from Tyan, but they sold it to fujitsu and HP and others who modified it slightly...).

Fans come on when p.s. is switched on, but no video, no flashes of leds on keyboard.

There is onboard audio, but no place to plug in a speaker.

How do I troubleshoot if there is no way to get beeps?

SKM

carbonfountain

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I want to say thanks for posting this topic. It was really helpful. I built a new computer recently and couldn't get my computer to boot. Went through this guide, and turns out I forgot to plug in the CPU power!

jono009

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Such a clear an accurate guide. Even for more experienced builders it serves as a great checklist. Especially considering troubleshooting usually causes great frustration, causing you to forget to check certain items.

JohnJones

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012

Well, a paper clip shorting 12 volts is a lot of power, because there is little resistance. stick a paperclip into 5v to ground, 3.3v to ground, and 12v to ground and then the green to ground. You will find that the 12v, 3.3v, and 5v paper clips heat up VERY fast.

Source: shorted out a shitty old 230w PSU and melted the ATX connector with paperclips connected.

PhantMFox

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thank you for this post! For me, I got the 24motherboard plug in, but forgot the 8pin- big achievement... but then it still wasn't working- huge disappointment!! Scrolled a little more, the ON switch for the power supply hahaha :D Thank you!! I was about to start researching cpu builders in my area to put the final touch on

TAILGUNNER78

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
if anyone gets stuck trying to fix there machine just make a thread in this link. http://www.cybergamer.com.au/pc/ ..
your question will be answered in 5 min.

breezedu

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Been fumbling through all sorts of forums when my newly built computer give no response after power on. Got worried the whole night. Woke up this morning and found this post. And sure enough, on top of the list is my 4/8 pin CPU power mistake. "easily the most common new-builder mistake" indeed.

Thanks so much for the OP!!

riyalight

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
ugh having this same problem :(

i've always considered myself computer illiterate, but seem to know more than anyone i meet lol. It's a technologically sad world :(

I decided to build my first computer. i rigorously followed the manuals. I bought a starter setup from tiger direct and several add ons (for which i havent even opened yet).

the computer worked until after i installed windows, and when it went to update it. then upon turning it off, it never went to post again :(

so it worked for 3 days perfectly and suddenly no video could be observed. grr...

i looked all over and found this to be a common problem and did this entire check list to no avail (including the breadboarding portion)

so my question is what probability is it that brand new components could just randomly go bad that quick? (yes i took static precautions and am a science nerd and quite meticulous with things like that)

what is the probability that windows has somehow caused irrepairable damage to the psu, cpu, mobo, etc.?

Obviously this set is still under warranty, however i don't want to lose any time by aimlessly sending components back and forth.

how do i discern the culprit between the primary components?

~the computer wont POST so i cant even boot off my windows disc or even see a screen to select anything if it did :( (yes i took out the video card and am going straight with vga into the mobo at this point)
*****COMPONENTS according to my base setup on tiger direct*****
Gigabyte am3 amd 760g micro atx amd mortherboard
oem amd anthlon 2 x4 640 3.0ghz am3 cpu oem
corsair xms3 4gb ddr3 1333mhz 4096mb (x2)
western digital caviar blue 500gb sata hd 7200/16mb/sata 6g
samsung 22x dvdrw sata oem
thermaltake socket am2, am, am3 cpu cooler fan
msi radeon hd 5450 1gb ddr3 pcie w/hdmi

so according to the checklist i removed all but the basics and added everythign again individually, checking each time and there was no post for any combo of anything :(

the power light comes on, the fan spins, the hard drive and cd drive activate. however an anomaly is that it cannot be turned off by holding the power switch anymore (it did for the first day it wouldn't boot but i've been fiddling with a lot of stuff since and may have made something worse uggh :(

can anyone please help this blonde computer loser? lol ^.^
i'll keep checking back otherwise my email is below if thats easier :bounce:

THANKS
riyalight @ gmail

ladysniper

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
OMG...guess who FORGOT step #2. And I knew I had to do it. I had trouble getting the other connectors in and I totally forgot it and then sat there looking at this computer that wouldn't boot up like WTF??

Thank you for this guide!!

SquarePenguin

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
Can a little more be made about the importance of checking the CPU is seated correctly in the trouble shooting guide? I discovered today that it is surprisingly easy for an AMD FM1/2 APU to become unseated during the installation of the HSF.

This is a tricky one because you can breadboard everything, PSU, RAM etc etc but you get no boot, no POST and no beeps, so you can be left wondering what is going on (or if you are fairly experienced like me you say - no, I definitely did the cpu correctly, I can see the arrow is correct without taking the HSF off.

Well, when I DID take the HSF off in a build equivalent of 'fresh install' i.e basically starting the build again, I found the little critter had somehow come unseated/unlocked in the perfect way to still mount the HSF and not show a single outward sign.

I'd suggest adding some words like:

"It doesn't matter that you can see the arrow is in correctly, it's critical you take the HSF off and physically check that the CPU is correctly seated and locked into position. before moving to the next step. An unseated CPU can be difficult to diagnose because it is indicated by the absence of indicators (such as no beeps or POST on power up) but the CPU fans will often spin making you think things are ok."

I'm sure someone can make that a bit more pithy, but it would probably help solve a few tricky issues some people face.

Josh

Pager098

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
A BIG THANKS!!

Hi guys, thank god I came across this help guide. I just put together my first PC using the asus m5a99x evo r2.0 and using an amd fx8350. Went to power up and no post and the red cpu led was on.....didn't know what to do next and was thinking about my ram compatibility as it does not have the 16 gb of corsair vengeance (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10) on its compatibility list.

Anyhow to make a long story short, it was step one I had missed. Not plugging in the 8 pin 12v atx plug near the CPU. I did get the big guy but not this one. A hell of a differance!!

Thanks a million and I apprecite this resource greatly....

I am sure there will be more questions later

Tim

StuckInWin2k

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
The OP is fantastic! I'm building for the first time, and I was thinking of giving up, but this solved my problem - thank you!

The discussion after the OP is also amusing. Are you guys paid employees of Tom's Hardware or volunteers? Is Randomizer the moderator of the forum?

Anyway, I've never moderated a forum, but here's a trick I thought of, in response to the frustration about people not reading the stickies. Somewhere in the middle of the OP you could write, "If you start a thread about this, begin with these exact words 'My situation is as follows'. That will prove you read this." And if you want, when people don't start their threads that way, you can say, "You have not thoroughly read the sticky, word for word. Start a new thread when you have."

Or you could say at the very start: "You will not get expert help with your question unless you start your thread with a numbered list: for each of our suggestions, tell what you did and how it worked out."

I'm a teacher. Most kids would rather eat glass than read directions. They pester you to give them the easy answer, but if you do (if you scold someone for not reading, but then you answer their question), you've just signaled for everyone else to ignore the directions and come pester you.

The real artist (or control-freak) even has fun being a jerk. You say, "Here is a link to the PERFECT solution for your problem!" so they get all excited. But it links to a cutesy graphic (with like a cow sticking out its tongue) that tells them to read the OP, after which you'll be happy answer their questions. The art-form lies in screwing with them (for your own sanity) in a way that's still light-hearted and supportive, so parents (or in your case moderators) don't get upset at you.

Sorry, I'm just amusing myself by wasting time. Thank you again so much for your help.

alex2000robert

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I've got an idea to upgrade this checklist.

Last step: Reflow. It consists in baking the motherboard in the oven for 8 minutes at 200C (380F) with preheating. Then let it cool for 30 minutes with the oven door partially open. This must be used ONLY as a last resort, just if all the above steps don't work. This is very risky, and I don't make responsible for any damages happened in this attempt to fix your problem. If it doesn't work, I might suggest RMA.

Feasle

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Can I add one to the list.

Try jumping the power switch on the motherboard.

I had all of the connection from the front panel to the board on the motherboard right but for some reason the Zalman Z9 case I bought... the power button and the button LED, there's an extra clip up in the front panel that wasn't connected. Once I bread-boarded it and jumped the motherboard (after 3 days and I don't know how many hours) and it turned on I knew it had to be the switch somehow, but never imagined it could be disconnected up at the switch. Now I'll know better.

Add this to the write up (I feel dumb admitting I had this issue, but I must not be the only one):
- Check to make sure you plugged in the case's power button plug into the motherboard. After you flip the switch on the PSU to turn it on, you will need to push the power button to fire up your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.