"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes.

Nope. Both are just simple push button switches designed for momentary contact. If you look at my little Dysan box, you see the red and black push button switches. I tried twice to superglue the switches into the holes, but I kept getting glue into the switches. :( Finally, I just went into my "junkbox" and got the two switches.

Hey. I'm a packrat, and that's what packrats do. They save stuff. You never know when you might need something. OTOH, it makes moving Hell.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Anyone else notice that since this has been stickied we have been getting a significant lower amount of "my build won't post" threads? And the few we do are much more difficult to trouble shoot it seems. I'm really glad this finally got the attention it deserved.

:D
8pincpu.jpg

clyman

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I know you are past the video card/onboard video thing but I had an ASROCK which is a company started by ASUS in 2002, or so I was told, where you had to first boot with the onboard video, then load the driver for the video card. You were then to shut the computer off and install the video card, change the bios to that video card and then plug the monitor into it. What a pain. Haven't noticed that in the last 30 or so computers I've built.

I think this is great help for people that are new to assembling their own computers. I would add to #16 to be sure if its a switchable power supply that its set to 115v some power supplies come set to 230v.

randomizer

Champion

You can't assume everyone is from the US. I'd blow my power supply and everything connected if I set it for 115V! It should say something along the lines of "make sure the input voltage switch is in the correct position." It's probably too late if you already tried running the PC with it set wrong though.

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
You might want to add one more thing to check for: cables running under your mobo that have been "pierced."

I wanted clean cable routing for my recent build, and I've seen people run cables under the motherboard. I'm not sure if they're running them beneath the motherboard or beneath the motherboard tray, but my Antec P180 allowed for very little to run under the tray. As such, I ran a few cables directly under the motherboard, in the area allowed by the standoffs. Bad move! The sharp solder managed to pierce one of the cables, and apparently the bare wire was enough to short the sucker. Rerouted and everything is fine - fortunately I didn't damage anything.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
@ Drokkon,

You shouldn't be running cables dirrectly underneath your motherboard, they should be under the motherboard tray. The small gap between the board and the tray helps the motherboard breathe some.

drokkon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Yeah. As I said, learned that in the school of hard knocks.

Just thought it should be added to the checklist, as it lists other "noobish" things like use standoffs in the first place. :D

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008

Ya I agree. It might not be a bad thing to have in a post, but not sure if it follows the theme for this thread. This is more related to my computer won't boot vs here's a bunch of common mistakes. I guess though if it was added it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.