[SOLVED] Performance and cooling issues with ryzen 5800x and Kraken m22

Jul 10, 2021
Hi,
So i have been having issues with my 8 month old ryzen 5800x and a kraken m22 (120mm) AIO cooler. It's a new pc and my first build.
When i first installed it i checked the cooler posted maximum temps of 85C - 88C (when i ran ryzen master "apply and test" button) and the profile i set to was "Auto OC" in the basic ryzen master control panel. (I dont know much about OC and i was happy with gaming performance).

Fast forward a few weeks and i noticed a few instances of stuttering in warzone. I thought maybe my cpu was running too hot and it's a case of thermal throttling. So i opened up the case dusted the fans and it didn't fix it. So i decided to change my thermal paste.
I did that and no luck so i did it again and again (3 times). So i can say its definetely not an issue of thermal paste gone bad or applied improperly.

So i tested it again with same profile ("Auto OC") idle temps were 45 to 50c so i was happy with that. Under load it went to 91C but remained there with clock frequency of around 4300Mhz to 4500Mhz. My fps in warzone was normal after playing for around 20 mins.
I experimented with manual settings trying to limit voltage but i mostly met with crashes so i reset the profile back to "Auto OC". So i had no choice but live with these temps.

Fast forward two weeks. I noticed after 5 mins of gaming fps drops from mid 100s to 80s 90s. And even more so after that. I checked the ryzen master again while gaming and saw that the clock frequency was 2300MHz to to 2500MHz and the temp was still 90C.
So i restarted my PC and tried the ryzen master test again. This time i set the time for test to 2 mins . Within 2 mins the clock speed goes from 4500Mhz to 3500Mhz and even below. The temps never drop so i guess that is precison boost trying to maintain it's temp by underclocking my cpu.
With cinebench it's even worse where clock speeds drop to around 2500Mhz.

I checked my PUMP speed and its running at around 4300 rpm. I put my handon the radiator portion. It was warm. I don't really know what else i can do to check if it's faulty.

Is this happening because i tried to do manual undervolting. I am pretty sure i reset it back to "auto OC" in the ryzen master. So any other suggestions of how i might have messed it up would be much appreciated.

What should i do. Should i try to report this to NZXT and get the pump replaced or is my cpu faulty?

Solution
Just my 2 cents, I had a CoolerMaster 360 AIO that was top mounted on my 5900x. I also had an Asus 6800xt with a 240 rad front mounted so lots of air from my T500 mesh case was actually blocked. I decided to take out the 360 AIO and install a Noctua ND-15 I had lying aroun and top mount the AIO from my GPU.

And that was a good idea as the CPU has the Ryzen master auto OC and is running as cool and quieter as with the 360 AIO, the other components in the case (SDD's, Chipset, VRM's etc) are running up to 10c freaking cooler with more airflow. Get a decent tower cooler and enjoy. I still get 3 core boosting to 5.1 GHZ even though the given is 4.9......

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen enough threads regarding this cooler, that: Kraken M22 is not good, and that likely goes for other pump-in-radiator coolers.
Worse performance than than more affordable air coolers and the more common pump-in-pump head AIOs/CLCs.
The pump-in-radiator design it has also seems to have higher failure rates - not well thought out:
-If the radiator is positioned higher than the cpu block, air will make its way through the pump, and you always want the pump to be completely lubricated.[Best performance, but worse for longevity.]
-If the radiator is positioned lower than the cpu block, the rad stays lubricated, but now air is collecting at the cpu block, disrupting heat transfer from the cpu to the fluid.[Best for longevity, but worse performance.]
There's just no winning with this.

The 5800X isn't configured well out of the box. It needs some degree of manual intervention from you, and the current cooler isn't going to work well with auto OC applications either.
By manual intervention, check this video out:
On top of the above, Ryzen 5000 has a very aggressive boost algorithm by design; even when the cpu is running that high, the cpu will still try to find the chance to boost when it is able.
It's still going to throttle hard when it hits 90C, since that is the thermal limit, after all.

There were some recent updates to Windows, so you should take the possibility that it may have broken performance into account as well. It happens.
The use of auto OC and the chosen cooler are the more immediate issues, IMO.

Jul 10, 2021
Update: So in the BIOS i changed the oc profile from auto to eco(95W). Now the CPU temps still remain at 90c at the start of the test while the clock speed starts from 3800MHz but still keeps decreasing up until 2500Mhz on cinebench. So no luck there. I also tried the default profile instead of Auto OC. Which still gives me a similar result. Guess there is no winning tweaking the software. Could be a hardware issue.

I just don't understand why this AIO was working when new but not right now. Could asking for a replacement be a good idea? Or should i buy a new one?

I have no idea about manually undervolting so i will do some research and then try to see if it works. Will post the results then. This was just a quick hack i thought would help.

Just my 2 cents, I had a CoolerMaster 360 AIO that was top mounted on my 5900x. I also had an Asus 6800xt with a 240 rad front mounted so lots of air from my T500 mesh case was actually blocked. I decided to take out the 360 AIO and install a Noctua ND-15 I had lying aroun and top mount the AIO from my GPU.

And that was a good idea as the CPU has the Ryzen master auto OC and is running as cool and quieter as with the 360 AIO, the other components in the case (SDD's, Chipset, VRM's etc) are running up to 10c freaking cooler with more airflow. Get a decent tower cooler and enjoy. I still get 3 core boosting to 5.1 GHZ even though the given is 4.9......

Last edited:
Reactions: sandisamp
Solution
Jul 10, 2021

Yes i have been looking at noctua D15 and bequiet dark rock 4. I think i will go with the noctua. I want to get the best out of my 5800x (it's an absolute beast :giggle:). Bequiet is a bit expensive for my taste. Noctua should do the trick.

Jul 10, 2021
Update: I finally got noctua d-15. Max temps with cinebench 80C (room temperature 25C). While gaming maximum was around 77 with cpu intensice titles like warzone and with other single player games it was near 70C. Looking at constant clock speeds of 4.6 Ghz frequently boosted upto 4.8Ghz.
I did not change the case. I think NZXT H510 elite is the biggest NZXT offering out there and works mostly well as is shown by the metrics.
So yes although it dosen't look as pretty as the aio but does the job pretty well. I am using it in a single fan mode, my RAM height was 54mm and did not allow to add a second fan in the case(not even the 120mm one).