Question Performance difference between ryzen 2nd gen and 3rd gen

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Are there any predicted performance for the new Ryzen 3rd gen if they are going to be much better than 2nd gen or just better?
Going to upgrade my pc so want to know if I should wait to July for Ryzen 3rd gen or just pick up 2nd gen now?

Naipross

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
is the tech radar article on ryzen 3rd gen anything to trust because they're saying that the r5 3600 will be 8 core 16 threads and clock speed of 3.6GHz to 4.4GHz and that is pretty much a r7 2700x. The 2700x's Cinebench score is 1783 according to cgdirector's Cinebench scores and the 2600's score is 1307 and that is a pretty big performance gap so is this any accurate?

If what you assert is correct, how does that stack up against Intel offerings?

thanks
Technically, instructions per clock are currently quite close between AMD and Intel. The difference is that Intel could reach 5 GHz+ clock speeds, while AMD couldn't. If the rumors are true, they will be able to reach 5 GHz+ with a 12C/16T processor. I think we don't have to worry about its performance, really. It will likely match, if not surpass Intel.

The best thing is to wait though. We'll know next week. You can watch this if you're interested;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl9-hkQjM_g

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Technically, instructions per clock are currently quite close between AMD and Intel. The difference is that Intel could reach 5 GHz+ clock speeds, while AMD couldn't. If the rumors are true, they will be able to reach 5 GHz+ with a 12C/16T processor. I think we don't have to worry about its performance, really. It will likely match, if not surpass Intel.

The best thing is to wait though. We'll know next week. You can watch this if you're interested;

Thanks for the reply; I personally have been waiting to make a few purchases for a few months now to see what their specs are and how they actually perform....I hope the news is as good as you note. : )

Are there any predicted performance for the new Ryzen 3rd gen if they are going to be much better than 2nd gen or just better?
Going to upgrade my pc so want to know if I should wait to July for Ryzen 3rd gen or just pick up 2nd gen now?
Leaks, speculation and analysis is all you'll get and since that's all we got might as well get the best going:

The only thing that's a certainty is whatever we're getting you won't be able to pick one up in the stores for a few months after Computex.

Adored's latest video seemed to me more of a 95% self-back patting session, as though he personally predicted A,B and C, and not his sources' leaks from months ago, all now seemingly being proven to be quite accurate.... ; as the comments indicated the new benchmarks were merely more a few more synthetic results showing in assorted databases from engineering samples at too -low of clockspeeds, I lost interest pretty quickly, as a review of old Cinebench comparison and prediction of 'x' score 'being possible' meant pretty much nothing.

CInebench results from months ago did look promising. however... ; I personally care more about Battlefield 1 and 5 results at 1080P/1440P; the results in everything else will likely move in lockstep with those results...

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
As someone who follows this closely I'm pretty confident that the Ryzen 3000 will pretty much live up to the hype. I think we will see all core turbos and overclock's in the high 4's and a huge IPC jump. I see them sacrificing power consumption for clock speed on the desktop parts if they need too. This is exactly what they did with Radeon VII. 5ghz boost is too good of a marketing ploy to not make it happen if they can. Why should they care about power consumption on desktop when the 9900k is a power hungry fire breather? 12 and 16 core parts are practically confirmed already. I'm just hoping they launch with them even though they probably won't need to.

The intel K chips might hold a very minor advantage in low res high framerate if the security mitigation's don't impact them too hard though. Even if AMD only cuts the gaming gap in half I doubt anybody will care at that point. Especially if the value proposition continues as it did with the previous gens.

My only concern is they might keep the prices a bit higher initially to clear out old inventory. I expect the used value of the older Ryzen parts to plummet leading up to launch. I wouldn't be surprised to see $150 dollar 2700x's and $50 1600's at Micro Center by November this year.