Question Performance Disadvantage? OS on 2.5” SSD & media on 2280 SSD

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
I searched online about PCIe lane distribution and how the CPU communicates to paths on the mobo. I originally had my OS and files all running off one NVMe 2TB drive. I noticed it got noticeably hot after lots of scrubbing through my 4K videos in Adove Premiere.

I want a different workflow, install my OS on a Samsung 860 Pro 500gb SSD 2.5’ on my SATA3, and a 1TB 970 Pro NVMe for my files. Wouldn’t this ease the thermal performance? or is this all wrong and my original setup is the standard?

Sugar Kaine Mostly

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2015
Nothing but active cooling or a large heatsink is going to help temps much if you are scrubbing 4k footage.

hi Captain! So one shouldn’t worry about Windows running (Adobe Premiere and After Effects) along with additional computation (heating)? I just assumed that scrubbing files is also affected by the programs running on the same drive causing more heat. Do you recommend a workflow or an NVMe? Thanks

D

Deleted member 362816

hi Captain! So one shouldn’t worry about Windows running (Adobe Premiere and After Effects) along with additional computation (heating)? I just assumed that scrubbing files is also affected by the programs running on the same drive causing more heat. Do you recommend a workflow or an NVMe? Thanks

I like the corsair mp600 pro xt cooling-wise.

Running windows at the same time is not going to make much of a difference IMO.

Reactions: Sugar Kaine Mostly