Question PERFORMANCE DROP AFTER ONLY ONE POWER ADAPTER BEING DETECTED

nikogolemi7

Commendable
Dec 24, 2018
I have an Alienware Area51m laptop that i have been using for 2+ years, the performance so far has been great. I purchased and used the laptop in the US. I recently moved to Europe and after some time i started having some problems with the performance. My fps drops every 3-4 seconds, it drops from 144 to 30-50.
This is the error message i received. View: https://imgur.com/43mpX9Y

How do I solve this problem?
It seems that my laptop is using one of the adaptors even though both of them are connected to power and the laptop.

I'm not sure how Dell is doing the power adapters on this thing other than they use two, so here's how I would tackle this:
  • Figure out if there's a "primary" and "secondary" power port. That is, one of those ports are dedicated solely for powering the laptop with basic functionality and the other is dedicated to adding more power to get it to full power. If there is a clear separation, then mark which one is the primary port.
  • Using the primary port, test each power adapter by doing something relatively power hungry. If one of the power adapters presents an error, then that one is suspect, otherwise if both present an error, the port may be suspect.
  • If both are fine, then it may be a question if the secondary port has issues or not (though I presume you've already swapped power adapters in this port before)
  • Otherwise if the laptop doesn't care which port is plugged in, then test each power adapter on one port. If there's an error, test it on the other port and if there's still an error, it's likely the power adapter. Otherwise if both are fine with one port but errors show up on the other, then it's the port.
Also it'd be worthwhile to see if the power adapters are getting too hot to touch during high-demand applications. That's an indication it may be overheating.