[SOLVED] Performance drop / upgrade needed? - Video Editing

May 3, 2021
Hey Tom's Community,
quick question here for me. Looked through quiet a few questions / threads on this topic,
found some usefull ideas but nothing specific matching my problem.

Specs:

Editing Program:
Vegas Pro 14.0
Operating System: Win10 / AMD Ryzen 3 2200G / 16GB DDR4 3200MHz / Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB
Output: 1 Screen @ WQHD via HDMI

Main Problem:

In-program video preview is running not smoothly at all. Mostly stuttering really. CPU-usage goes to ~80% under
this specific load, RAM @ 40%, GPU in TaskManager without relevant increases. This DID run smoothly until a few weeks back now.
Since my significant other noticed the change and did not tell me earlier, i can not determine what changed within the setup around
that time-period software-side.

Questions:

Possible soft-, or hardwaresteps that might deliver a solution to the stutters?

If I was to upgrade, do i only focus on the CPU (recommendations highly appreciated) or is there more to upgrade on?
(The main task for this setup is and will be video & image editing with the named software above. Only possible difference in workload
would be a second WQHD-Screen in the near future.)

Thanks to everybody, reading or answering, for your time!
Have a great one,
da1m

Solution
To start with...

Here are the VEGAS Pro 14 Edit Steam Edition Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Info
  • CPU SPEED: 2 GHz (Quad- or Eight-Core)
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: Dedicated, 1 GB VRAM
  • SOUND CARD: Multi-channel sound card recommended for surround sound editing
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 1330 MB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1 GB

The system requirements do match and this is not minimum requirement, this is recommended requirement. Probably thats why it did work initially. Having said that, those requirements are usually measured under synthetic workloads for one single program being tested. Overall the PC...
May 3, 2021
When was the last time you checked the CPU temperatures while running the program? It may just be accumulated dust causing the CPU to overheat and thermally throttle its performance.

Intersting thought.
While reaching 90+% loads on single cores in CoreTemp,
the max. temperature did not exceed 68°C. Did clense the cooler from dust anyways, just in case.

May 3, 2021
Thanks for your suggestions @mdd1963, in fact i currently do not own a seperate GPU. As far as the issue solving goes,
the only, to my eye, recognizable difference is the SSD's free storage capacity. Started at around 200GB free space to know about 50GB. Never
experienced that slowing down any program before, just noted it.

Thanks for your suggestions @mdd1963, in fact i currently do not own a seperate GPU. As far as the issue solving goes,
the only, to my eye, recognizable difference is the SSD's free storage capacity. Started at around 200GB free space to know about 50GB. Never
experienced that slowing down any program before, just noted it.
Over provisioning of 20% on SSDs is common practice to ensure that it remains fast and keeps a long lifespan. 50gb is the minimum amount you should keep on your SSD to maintain that SSD's maximum level of performance and life expectancy.

@Eximo @Hellfire13 @sizzling @Why_Me you guys got any ideas, or do you think its the case that the computer needs to be upgraded? I think something is wrong.

To start with...

Here are the VEGAS Pro 14 Edit Steam Edition Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Info
  • CPU SPEED: 2 GHz (Quad- or Eight-Core)
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: Dedicated, 1 GB VRAM
  • SOUND CARD: Multi-channel sound card recommended for surround sound editing
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 1330 MB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 1 GB

The system requirements do match and this is not minimum requirement, this is recommended requirement. Probably thats why it did work initially. Having said that, those requirements are usually measured under synthetic workloads for one single program being tested. Overall the PC is pretty underpowered for taking too much load. And with time system cache, memory cache and page files keep piling to minimize throughput redundancy.

TLDR, this "Started at around 200GB free space to know about 50GB" seems like a likely cause to me. Since reinstalling the program did not fix the issue, I would start with formatting the machine to start with, and then move on to hardware from there. The point is to test the program with a clean system and without any load on the disk, so test it right away after formatting before adding any other programs, except whatever is required to run it.

Reactions: helper800
Solution