Question Performance extremely poor after installing SSD ?

Sep 15, 2022
So I took my PC to a computer store to have it cleaned and installed an SSD I had purchased (Crucial, 1TB). Before, I could play games with high fps, and use windows normally, now even doing an alt + tab can cause the computer to perform poorly. I'm turning on the PC in seconds, but my gaming performance was pretty lost.

An example is the game Outer Wilds, which I played on the HDD and it worked perfectly, it ran at 60 fps in practically all situations with Vsync enabled (when I turned it off it ran even with more fps, but it had some drops that were not interesting). The first game I installed again was Outer Wilds and, with the same graphics configuration (I took a print of the exact same configuration so I could compare in case something went wrong before installing the SSD) and it's running poorly. The game hangs between 30-40 fps, rarely reaching 50-60, and when it does, it seems to keep lagging. It's like it's not running at 60 fps.

My configs are:
GTX 1060 6 gb
I5 10600kf
16 gb ram
Motherboard z490 gaming x
Psu 600w Corsair
Ssd 1 TB crucial
Hd 1 TB Toshiba

Ps: I have installed outer wilds on HDD. I don't know if it can cause a bad performance ?

HD Toshiba SATA 3.5´ P300 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s HDWD110XZSTA
That's HDD.
What model SSD do you have? Crucial has multiple different models.

Was windows cloned to SSD?
Or was windows reinstalled on SSD?

If reinstalled, then some drivers might be missed during reinstallation.
Reinstall chipset drivers and graphics drivers.

Chipset:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver
Graphics:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx

Last edited:
You could try using some system memory as cache. It's the Momentum Cache feature in Crucial Storage Executive.

Occasional odd pauses are kind of normal in a DRAM-less SSD but only rarely should it be noticeably worse than HDD.

As for the game, it has been patched to default to DX12 path now which has much lower performance so you could try forcing DX11 mode in the settings. You also may have been using pre-Vulkan drivers (456.98 and earlier) before which offered better performance for Pascal than newer drivers, or even 442.59 which supposedly had the best performance in DX11

Sep 14, 2022
Hey Farinha,

It's totally fine to experience troubles after playing games on a new drive , I suggest you go to your computer's support page and download all the drivers there since it's definitely a problem with your drivers i'd say.

you might use a third party driver updater utility even tho it's not highly recomended , Download driver easy and run a scan) it will help you identify all of your oudated driver and then you can either download them from your support page or from Driver easy itself.

Please press Windows + X > Device manager and then click on display adapters , Provide us with a screenshot.
Right click on your display adapter and check properties > Driver Date.

Have a nice day)

Sep 15, 2022
Oh. That's low performance dramless variant.
You should have gone with MX500 instead.

I should have researched more before buying... I'll take it to the technician now, I'll ask them to format my HDD and SSD, and remove the SSD.

I will contact Amazon to see if I can get a return, but I think I will have to sell this SSD. This mistake of mine is going to cost me a lot of money, damn

Sep 15, 2022
So, updates

I took my PC back to the IT store that I always go (but this is gonna be the last time I'll trust them my machine) and asked to remove the SSD and install windows on the HDD. I contacted Amazon and will return the SSD, and buy the mx500. At least it didn't cost so much in my pocket, but it was a lesson.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

TRENDING THREADS