Question Performance is going down, possible power supply issue?

Aug 5, 2019
I've been trying to solve this issue for a couple weeks now and I figured I'd run a benchmark test, just to see how everything reports back. Hoped I'd have an easier time spotting what's starting to drag me down but after seeing multiple components "under performance", I feel like I should try to address this as swiftly as possible.

Here's the results of my last run; https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19181357

Questions:
- Would a deteriorating PSU show similar symptoms?
--If not, and also, what are common reasons for this?
-Do you have any suggestions on how to better test my machine to isolate the issue?

Aug 5, 2019
What temperature does your CPU run at under load?

What is the make and model of psu?

CPU Stays between 60-75c through the workday

and PSU is a Thermaltake Smart Series 600W.

Everything was brand new roughly 6 months ago...

Machine is used for mainly for process heavy programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw, AfterEffects, etc.

Just within the last 2 weeks have I noticed a terrible performance lag and I'm working like crazy to try and solve it before I am out of a work machine.

oMDG8Zy.png

sFUQ1Sq.png

Y5ljAOy.png

My memory has been super held up, too...

in2107S.png

ORsJser.png
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Aug 5, 2019
Unlikely to be your PSU. What exactly are your observations that lead you to make the statement that your system is running slow?

I know it's not the 'best machine ever', but I spent a decent amount of change on this build, just to be able to breeze through the tasks I'd normally perform for work. The specs are even overkill for what I need, to be 100% straightforward but lately there's been a lot more delay time between tasks like copy/pasting inside any of my designing programs, and even basic tasks like going to respond to an email are hanging up the whole machine.

I'm using less in the last 2 weeks than I have in the past and it was REALLY hard for me to overwork this machine a few months ago.

e4r33d

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
If performance is going down , could be the CPU getting old , also being the motherboard , for example , 2 weeks ago my motherboard died , before it died i had for 1 week straight bad performance , lets say 40 fps or less in GTA 5 with a OC-ed 4690k 16 gb ram and 1070 ....

But it could be a lot of problems , even the PSU can be faulty

Aug 5, 2019
An RTX 2070 on a Thermaltake Smart is asking for a disaster. Upgrade that pronto.

I doubt that causes the issue, but it will be an issue soon enough.

I'll boot with no apps starting and do another benchmark test. By chance there's something just really holding me down..

I had the whole machine apart yesterday to clean out any dust and check air but everything was clean..

RUSerious

Reputable
Aug 9, 2019
Hmm, almost everytime I've seen sudden drops like that it's been due to a virus. You can download a boot image for most A/V software and burn it to a USB drive. Then reboot your machine, select the USB as the boot drive and let it whir away. Sometimes there is more too it than that, but it's a start.

As an aside - your CPU temps are high, unless you live in Arizona or something with no A/C ;)

Aug 5, 2019
Surprised no one noticed the 62% background activity in the benchmark results. That's absurdly high...

2 different kits of ram in there, but OP appears to have won the mixed ram lottery.

The 62% (or similarly high) is what's driving me mad and I've gone through this machine up and down countless times in the last week to try and figure out what's up.

Virus scans have been made with Avast, Malewarebytes, Hitman (all uninstalled besides Avast now) and Comodo Firewall is always on but these two have been running since the day this machine was first booted so I don't expect this to be an issue all of a sudden.

My thoughts were that it could possibly be the PSU because if the CPU wasn't getting enough power, it would cause it to perform slower and the result would be high usage?

*Really, just a slightly educated guess. I'm clearly not completely familiar with the technical workings of my machine. I've just known what I've wanted lol...

Edit; and yea, so far the ram has been a win... Not sure how I lucked out but I'll take it haha.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well if you've already done the virus and malware scans, what does task manager show?
There must be something hogging your cpu resources.

While the Thermaltake Smart series isn't a good one, it's not the cause of the high background usage.
Perhaps you have some fancy software running that got past the security scans?

Aug 5, 2019
Here's a second run, just now: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19212827
Looks like the CPU is really the only thing dragging at the moment but I'm really not doing a whole lot on the machine.

Perhaps you have some fancy software running that got past the security scans?

I thought the same for a bit, that's why I installed a few different variations and did a boot scan with Avast.. Besides some tracking cookies, I came back clean. I don't get it.

6DGWdj0.png

Latest posts